Star Wars Thread: Episode II

Home » Forums » Movies, TV and other media » Star Wars Thread: Episode II

Tags:

Author
Topic

Always two, there are.

Viewing 100 replies - 1 through 100 (of 498 total)
Author
Replies

Fun!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Yeah, that looks like fun.

Yeah, that’ll be great to watch on Christmas with the kid.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Fuck yeah, that looks to be in some proper overkill of fun fashion, just like the LEGO movie.

Came upon this fan theory while searching for Star Wars news:

Star Wars: Mace Windu is a Sith Lord from FanTheories

I’m always amazed at the work people put into trying to make these films less terrible.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Mace Windu is really what happens to Jules after the end of Pulp Fiction.

3 users thanked author for this post.

And he actually survived Palpatine’s attack, but lost an eye. You’ll never guess where he ended up next.

And he actually survived Palpatine’s attack, but lost an eye. You’ll never guess where he ended up next.

Was it a plane?

4 users thanked author for this post.

Was it a plane?

No it was a branch of McDowells.

Was it a plane?

No it was a branch of McDowells.

He then sings the song, “Black Snake Moan”.

after that, he becomes a hotheaded African-American shopkeeper and activist forced to help some schmuck cop

after that, he becomes a hotheaded African-American shopkeeper and activist forced to help some schmuck cop

Then he got ice powers and fought crime until the government made him retire.

Then he got ice powers and fought crime until the government made him retire.

Is this all before or after he went to collect Marcellus Wallaces suitcase?

The story about Disney refusing to pay Alan Dean Foster royalties, as per contract, for his SW and Alien 3 work has really gathered steam but is potentially about far more than just Foster or those franchises.

This is the best summary I’ve found so far:

From Tweet number 4 and 5:

“This is Disney’s theory: When they bought Lucas and Fox, they acquired the copyright licenses that enabled them to sell the Foster’s books – but not the liability, the legal obligation to pay him for his books.

As SFWA president @MaryRobinette says, this theory could absolutely upend the nature of copyright itself. Any publisher that wanted to go on making money from an author without paying them could simply sell the rights to a sister company, which then denies any obligations.”

There’s other aspects that render Disney’s actions even worse, that Foster and his wife are both in ill health and being screwed around with by one of the biggest global companies going, but these aspects here potentially render it a far, far bigger deal.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ben.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ben. Reason: Missing word

If the facts as they’re being presented are true, it seems that Disney’s behaviour is pretty clearly illegal.

They seem to be banking on it being impractical for an individual to pursue legal action due to their clout and ability to make any litigation very long and costly.

Rum stuff.

“This is Disney’s theory: When they bought Lucas and Fox, they acquired the copyright licenses that enabled them to sell the Foster’s books – but not the liability, the legal obligation to pay him for his books.

That’s completely crazy. And it’s just mindboggling that with all the money they’re making from Star Wars, Disney is refusing to pay one of the people who laid the foundation to that success.

I still remember reading his novelisations, they’re heavily mixed in with my experience of watching the OT. I loved those books.

Apparently ever writer and artist who worked on Dark Horse’s Star Wars and Fox properties have stopped receiving royalties too.

Jesus, those fucks.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Posted in the obituaries thread but it’s relevant here too: Dave Prowse has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55117704

In an odd coincidence it was only yesterday that I was telling my son about the Green Cross Code man and how one of them went on to become Vader.

These are cool:

Yes, BB-8 Christmas ornaments. Plus:

Unsure of the reliability of this site, so take with a grain of salt:

New Star Wars Animated Series Will Go to the Past (Exclusive)

https://www.polygon.com/disney-plus/2020/12/10/22168664/star-wars-shows-lando-acolyte-obi-wan-ahsoka-anime

The shows:

* Obi-Wan (with Hayden as Vader)
    * Ahsoka
    * Cassian Andor
    * Rangers of the New Republic
    * Lando
    * The Acolyte (Leslye Headland show set during The High Republic)

Animated:

* The Bad Batch (spin-off of TCW)
    * Visions (anime anthology)
    * A Droid Story (a new droid?)

I wonder if Rangers Of The New Republic was supposed to be Cara Dune-centric, but they decided to change that (or at least not promote it that way right now) because of the Carano stuff?

Anyway, I’m excited for the Headland show, and not much of the rest. The Bad Batch backdoor pilot on TCW did nothing for me. I’d completely forgotten the Cassian Andor show was happening. Rogue One was so long ago.

Also, the next movie is Rogue Squadron, Holidays 2023:

So if that’s the next movie, Waititi’s secret movie is four years out? Damn, that’s a long while.

Anyway, it’s a bit of a shame that almost all of the shows are covering the same time period. It’s good to see that there’s at least one of them doing something different and exploring a different age of the Republic.

Obi-Wan (with Hayden as Vader)

This (while not surprising) makes little sense from a story point of view. In A New Hope, Vader was surprised to encounter his old master again. If they’ve been sharing a TV series for the last 10 years, why so surprised? Unless Vader and Obi-Wan never actually meet during the series, which would be a massive disappointment for fans. But that’s ok I guess, Star Wars fans live for disappointment.

Though, the more I think about it, a series where Obi-Wan constantly foils Vader’s schemes while Vader never realises it’s Obi-Wan doing it could be kind of clever. I have a feeling the idea’s been used somewhere before but I can’t think where.

Obi-Wan is going to be a Lupin III-style crime caper series with Vader as Zenigata.

I had the same thought about Obi-Wan and Vader meeting. Maybe they’ll re-edit the original Star Wars to have Vader say “when we last met  I was but the pupil… no actually, maybe it was the time before that. And I did see you across the room at that other thing last year too.”

I’m kinda surprised they’re not going for a Bo Katan series… seems like an obvious choice, no? =/

So much for my hopes for a Mos Eisley Cantina sitcom, complete with John Ratzenberger voicing the know-it-all barfly alien.

If they’ve been sharing a TV series for the last 10 years

Obi-Wan is a four-episode miniseries, at least for now.

Oh, ok, I didn’t realise that. I assumed full series.

I had the same thought about Obi-Wan and Vader meeting. Maybe they’ll re-edit the original Star Wars to have Vader say “when we last met  I was but the pupil… no actually, maybe it was the time before that. And I did see you across the room at that other thing last year too.”

That idea was sort of blown out of the water with Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin was made into a Jedi Master, and appointed to the Jedi Council. A bit like Leia remembering her mother.

So much for my hopes for a Mos Eisley Cantina sitcom, complete with John Ratzenberger voicing the know-it-all barfly alien.

Or, instead on an alien, he could reprise the Rebel Trooper he played in The Empire Strikes Back.

Jar-Jar Clavin

I’m kinda surprised they’re not going for a Bo Katan series

I would expect her to be on the Ahsoka show. Ahsoka and Bo are both from Rebels. I am very happy that they are making an Ahsoka show. I can’t wait for the hunt for Thrawn and it better have Sabine Wren in it

I know, and if you have him, you would need to have George Wendt play his best friend, Norm the Hutt.

I would expect her to be on the Ahsoka show. Ahsoka and Bo are both from Rebels.

Well, you know, they are from Clone Wars.

Well, you know, they are from Clone Wars.

you know, it can be two things

you know, it can be two things

I do know that. Just being good-naturedly smart-alecky (and mainly because I ciuld see my kid’s indignance if he’d heard that, as he’s a huge Clone Wars can but doesn’t care for Rebelled much).

so was I. just thought I would trot out a board meme. Good job backing up your son and Rebels is a bit different than CW so I understand. Maybe when he is older he might enjoy Rebels more.

It’s coarse and rough and irritating: Lucas admits his Star Wars prequels dialogue ‘is pretty corny’

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/george-lucas-star-wars-prequel-dialogue-pretty-corny

He should’ve made Mace Windu say “Fuck!”. That would’ve been INSANE!

“I have had it with this motherfucking Sith in this motherfucking Senate!”

8 users thanked author for this post.

“I have had it with this motherfucking Sith in this motherfucking Senate!”

“Say Watto again. Say Watto again! I dare you, I double-dare you, motherfucker!”

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lucas admits his Star Wars prequels dialogue ‘is pretty corny’

He thinks it’s great that way though:

“It is presented very honestly, it isn’t tongue-in-cheek at all, and it’s played to the hilt,” the writer-director explains in the book. “But it is consistent, not only with the rest of the movie, but with the overall Star Wars style. Most people don’t understand the style of Star Wars. They don’t get that there’s an underlying motif that is very much like a 1930s Western or Saturday matinee serial. It’s in the more romantic period of making movies and adventure films. And this film is even more of a melodrama than the others.”

Lucas really, really doesn’t get what he got wrong with these movies.

There was plenty of corny dialog in the OT.

Nobody noticed it at the time because the movies were just kicking ass, and we forgave them.

The Prequels still had the corny dialog, but there was more of it (they were talkier than the OT) and we were all twenty years older.

The Prequels still had the corny dialog, but there was more of it (they were talkier than the OT) and we were all twenty years older.

Not only were they talkier. It’s also the themes – the OT didn’t have a lot of romance and when it did, it was all done in one-liners – “I love you.” “I know” and all that or Leia and Han arguing, not protesting love (showing instead of telling, in the case of those two, and it worked very well). The dialogue also wasn’t as corny by far, as the movies with proper romance in them had better writers than Lucas is, and the scenes weren’t as stiff and unnatural, as they also had better directors than Lucas is.

Because that is the other thing: the dialogue might not have been a problem if Christiansen and Portman had had better direction. They were both perfectly capable young actors, but they did lack experience and would’ve needed someone who actually made their scenes work. In spite of Lucas claiming in the interview that they took extra time for rehearsals, he clearly didn’t know how to help them.

I just heard that Jeremy Bulloch has died.

Rest in peace Jeremy Bulloch

“He’s no good to us dead”.

A sad use of a classic line.

A very unexpected but not unwelcome surprise – SpeedyHen have just put my copy of The High Republic: Light of the Jedi in the post!

Book is out officially on 5 Jan.  Hopefully it arrives after Xmas but before the new year.

A very unexpected but not unwelcome surprise

Only picked up on the phrasing about halfway through and then decided to stick with it. The book’s going to be read with great interest.

7 users thanked author for this post.

I just finished Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi.

• 1999 – The New Jedi Order. Hmm, sounds cool, maybe this’ll be an epic tale of the New Republic and the Jedi against a new enemy. Nope.
    • 2015 – The Force Awakens. Maybe this time? Nope, the Jedi were killed off. Again.
    • 2020 – The High Republic. Third time’s the charm? Yes, yes it is.

So, yeah, this is the epic SW story I’ve been wanting for years and it proves that a number of “rules” aren’t always so:

• Yes, you can have a load of redshirt characters that you end up caring for far more than you expect – before they still get offed.
    • Yes, you can have a significant challenge to your heroes while they have the greater advantage.
    • Yes, you can have intelligence heroes and villains.

The first part of the book uses a structure of a ticking down clock and different character narratives and then flips between them, it is a very effective technique. While the second and third parts retain it, it’s never more effective than at the start.

This book does seed both the younger and YA books by brief mentions at the end. It’s smartly done, if you don’t look for it you might not even notice it, which may be the point. If this how it’s connected-but-all-optional aspect is going to work, they might pull it off. Another unknown aspect – and it’s going to stay that way for a good while – is whether the TV show will see audience crossover.

The Republic and Jedi? Both are pretty damn awesome here. Even Senator Noor is a far, far cry from NJO’s cast of bastard, suicidally self-interested politicians. Noor is certainly on edge and frustrated by the situation, but can also see the big picture.

The Nihil? Hmm, I’m really not sure how long these guys are going to last. They do feel more like a cat’s paw adversary, with the cat clearly being Manchion Ro. I think there is a deliberate hint woven through this book that there’s more to be found out, but that’s no bad thing either. I do quite like a disunited, fractious bunch of villains.

The opening section is the book’s strongest card – the others are good, but the first is great and operates on another level. Part of that is that Soule knows he has to set out what is different about this era, what is special about it, why we should want to read about it and it does that brilliantly. 2020 has been a bastard of a year, the last few years have also been bastards and Soule knows that the way to sell this new era isn’t by the expected route of a dark and terrible tragedy. There is tragedy here, there are sad ends, but there is also a crap ton of inspiration and positivity here too and you may well be surprised by how you respond to that.

Onto aesthetics. I’m certain they’ve done or used a new font for the High Republic, it looks that little bit different to the eye. The cover works very well with the title design and the interiors follow it. This is a very good looking volume and you will not regret buying a physical copy.

Fine, you want a TL: DR version? The book’s #*%£$~! awesome, go read it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Ben.

Is it a comic book? If no, Does it have Sinjir? If no, then no.

There are two comics for The High Republic, one from IDW and one from Marvel.

But, since it’s 200-odd years before the films, no Sinjir.

Star Wars alternate ending. Anakin took some nyquil and didnt have dreams that night. from StarWars

And Natalie Padme had facial surgery on just one side of her face? =/

Only light, general spoilers at most in this 1138 article:
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2021/01/the-unexpected-optimism-of-the-high-republic/#more-17666

After Superman got his suit in Man of Steel I grew quite disinterested in the rest of the movie and while it’s on in the background I’ve been google image searching pictures of Stormtroopers.

Hot take: The Stormtrooper design for the sequel trilogy is cooler than the original trilogys ditto and the clone troopers from the prequels are a total joke.

Steady on, I’m not sure the internet can handle Man of Steel criticism and debating the finer points of the Star Wars trilogies all in one post.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by saga.

Steady on, I’m not sure the internet can handle Man of Steel criticism and debating the finer points of the Star Wars trilogies all in one post.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by saga.

Just added it to my Kindle this morning. Looking forward to it after reading your review!

Not gonna lie, that looks pretty badass…

“True Star Wars fans” are once more up in arms over …. a rock.

Yes, really.

Into the Dark is the latest High Republic book and – like the others for the perfidy of featuring a diverse cast – these “fans” are not happy so they’ve been doing a mass downvote campaign on every HR video the SW channel on YouTube puts out.  These are tiny, just over a minute videos.

The latest was on a supporting, background character Geode.  Sounds and looks like it wouldn’t ever work, but actually does.  Not that these “true fans” would be seen dead actually checking it out.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Ben.

these “fans” are not happy so they’ve been doing a mass downvote campaign on every HR video the SW channel on YouTube puts out.

By this point they should know that all downvoting does is promote the video to more people. Not watching the video is literally the best way to reduce its impact.

ohh… someone’s getting a cease and desist…

Indeed.

Still interesting though. I hadn’t realised that Trevorrow’s script had leaked. Reading a synopsis, it at least sounds like the plot wouldn’t have been any worse than what we got. The actual writing may have been though (given how shit Jurassic World’s writing was).

SW joke I just heard:

If Chewie was short for Chewbacca, what was Luke short for?

A Stormtrooper

FB_IMG_1616139843555

I’ve got a bad sausage about this :unsure:

I am altering the sausage, pray I don’t alter it any further.

An elegant weapon, for a more civilised sausage

This bounty hunter is my kind of sausage… Fearless and inventive

Only a Sith deals in sausages!

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have our sausage.

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his sausage, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It’s ironic: he could save others from death, but not himself.

Lock S-foils in attack position.

(The S stands for sausage)

Believe me, I wish that I could just wish away my sausage, but I can’t.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by saga.

There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive.

I’m a Toydarian. Mind sausages don’t work on me.

That’s no sausage!

It’s-a clear desa separatists made a pact wesa desa Federation Du Trade. Senators, dellow felagates, in response to this direct threat to the Republic, mesa propose that the Senate give immediately emergency sausage to the Supreme Chancellor.

So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous sausage.

You want this, don’t you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing sausage you make yourself more my servant.

“I love sausage.”

“I know.”

I am a sausage, like my father before me

Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your sausage 

Viewing 100 replies - 1 through 100 (of 498 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar