The Toy Thread

Home » Forums » Movies, TV and other media » The Toy Thread

Author
Topic

But mainly me waffling about Transformers.

Speaking of, the first War For Cybertron: Earthrise figures are being previewed

Leader Optimus Prime:

Grapple

Ironworks, being sold at a Deluxe price point, the name comes from one of the old micromaster bases – the one with the crane that turned into a gun turret and radar. Here we’ve got robot, Micromaster base and parts mode, so presumably works similar to the Weaponisers

Micromaster Hot Rod Patrol:

Also mentioned are the Micromaster Military Patrol and a Deluxe Cliffjumper

Viewing 92 replies - 701 through 792 (of 792 total)
Author
Replies

So apparently there’s gonna be a Buzzworthy Bumbleee 4-pack of army-builder figures – a G1 seeker, Quintesson soldier (the redeco of the Allicon from the Pit of Judgement set, but with an optional allicon head), G2 comics Cybertronian soldier (redeco of Skullgrin with two new head options) and an Autorooper (Siege Ironhide in grey and black similar to the Deesus drones from the Netflix show and toyline), and it’s going to ne like $78! I really hope this is gettable at a decent price over here, I’d get at least 2.

Such a bizarre choice to pack those four completely different troop builders together.

1 user thanked author for this post.

More Pulse shenanigans for GI Joe. Surprise: there’s a livestream on Instagram without any warning! Surprise: these new figures are up for pre-order at 6pm! Surprise: we’re not sending emails about these out til quarter past 6! Oh look, some of them are already sold out.

I happened to see a tweet from one of the sculptors just before 6 and actively sought out the info just in time to get in an order for Tunnel Rat and an Eel (on my phone while sitting in a Chinese takeaway). The Eel’s already sold out (and as an Amazon exclusive in the US is the only one importers won’t get in).

I see Star Action Figures have resorted to importing some Classified figures now and, in their typical way, whinging plaintively at Hasbro (in their Facebook posts, which Hasbro presumably aren’t reading) for explanations as to why the line is now Pulse exclusive.

The Eel’s already sold out (and as an Amazon exclusive in the US is the only one importers won’t get in).

I’ve found that Amazon exclusives show up on the UK site a few days after they hit the US site, so keep an eye out and you might be able to get it easier. I’ve been able to replace my US pre-orders for the Orion Pax/Shockwave and Megatron/Ratbat sets with ones from the UK with Prime shipping.

SS RotB Deluxe-class Mirage

They’ll be updating the face deco before it goes to retail to better match the final movie colours.

Leader-class Optimus Primal

The axe is meant to be Optimus Prime’s one from the movie, but they didn’t have the plastic budget for that release and could fit it in here. The chain linking the swords was going to be in the movie but was removed at one point.

Pulse exclusive Core-Class Optimus Prime and Bumblebee 2-pack

Legacy Evolution Core-class Snarl

And the complete Volcanicus

Deluxe-class Shadow Striker

Bombshell

Strongarm

She’s a heavy reshell of Elita-1

Detritus

Detritus is a Junkion originally from the eHOBBY redecos of G1 figures. While the original just has decepticon badges, this has a Decepticon and an Autobot one as he’s an arms dealer and could play one side against the other.

Voyager-class Bludgeon

Trashmaster

Trashmaster also has the mix and match options that the other Junkions have, they replaced the front of his truck with the front of a Scraphook on-stream

Leader-class Prime-universe Dreadwing

Studio Series 86 death of Ironhide and Prowl 2-pack:

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Army Builder 4-pack

Volvo Optimus Prime

This is the same figure as the Christmas-themed Prime from last year, just in regular Prime colours.

Generations Selects Antagony

This figure comes with an alternate head based on Beast Wars Scavenger too

I’m sold on Shadow Striker, Bombshell (though I’m not loving that shroud behind his head), Detritus Trashmaster and the 4-pack for sure. Strongarm is a probable. Bludgeon and Dreadwing are maybes if I find them on sale.

I might go for Trashmaster. Antagony if/when she inevitably ends up in a clearance channel like TK Maxx, The Entertainer or Game, like most of the other Gen Selects. Shadow Striker, Bombshell and Bludgeon are cool.

I went by Smyths yesterday, looking for the fabled discount table that some people are finding things like Scraphook on. Have these always existed or are they new? It does exist, but it’s an aisle endcap in my branch. No TFs, but I did get a ML America Chavez for £3.

And then I bought Lio Convoy before it disappears. Not opened yet.

I also stopped by the new TRU in WH Smith and it’s surprisingly decent. They’ve taken out the (pretty dismal) cafe section to make space for it, so it is more than just a few shelves, it’s 2/3 of the upstairs. Better selection of stuff than their website would suggest. And there’s a bench at the “front” with a big plastic Geoffrey you can sit next to, if you’re so inclined.

Mark spotted SS86 Arcee in a Smyth’s for I think he said €8? Less than it’s listed on the website for. The one in town is long sold out of Scraphooks but Mark did pick me up a second one from the Smyth’s near him for €25 a week or two back.

Oh, they had Scraphooks for normal price (well, reduced to £20) but I could only really afford one full price figure, so went with Lio Convoy. That said, the clearance sticker on that America figure is surprisingly restickable…

Rock n Roll arrived. A really cool figure. Love the devil horns hand option.

EBFF14EE-8145-4C47-8F8E-6EF91ECD185A

and while I’m taking photos, here’s Shipwreck too.

ABC32652-F1BF-4F64-9596-7F2D6820EB31

No photo of Lio Convoy but I’ve opened him up and… he’s ok. The lion head is no better in person than in pictures. I did think giving it some pupils, as the Copy Convoy redeco has, might help, but it’s clear that the sculpt is just bad on several fronts (snub nose, concerned brow, buck teeth that are coming out of, not from under, his top lip). Hopefully some third party will do an upgrade kit.

His shoulder and arm kibble limits his poseability somewhat and his legs are odd, but he has a good look overall.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Apparently Amazon mixed up the order codes for the Orion Pax/Senator Shockwave and Miner Megatron/Senator Ratbat sets. Or at least I was expecting Pax and Shockwave to arrive today and got Megatron and Ratbat instead.

Has this meant people who only ordered one have received the other too?

From what I’ve been able to gather people who got shipping notices for Ratbat and Megatron got Shockwave and Orion Pax instead and vice versa. So it’ll be a case of return and hope you can get the other set if you only ordered one of them. My Shockwave and Orion Pax set isn’t due to ship for another month, so I won’t know till then.

Game have got some new clearance bits in: Studio Series Perceptor for a tenner (I just got two), that navy blue Trailbreaker for £12, that Beast Wars Ravage and BW Vintage Tigatron and Scorponock. Some retro-carded Marvel Legends too. The Excalibur three pack for £20 too, which I’m tempted by.

I got GI Joe Classified Big Ben the other day. He was persistently unavailable on Pulse from when he was revealed. On the in-stock date for pre-orders (initially the 15th, slipped to the 17th) I checked first thing in the morning: in stock. Ordered him, taking the full £4 hit on postage, which really is far too high and he arrived a day or so later. Glad I checked that early (about 8am) because he’d sold out again within an hour or so.

Is he worth it? Well, he’s a solid figure but not spectacular. Has three guns, each of which has additional bits. An uzi (ish) SMG that has a removable silencer, which can store on his belt. That has a holster. Then a rifle, which has a removeable clip (that can also store on his belt) and a little flip out front grip that he can’t really grip. Then there’s a machine gun, with removable clip/drum/magazine. This is an entirely different machine gun to the one that comes with Roadblock and Rock n Roll and its an improvement in terms of the front rests, which aren’t as big as one R&R’s and discreetly clip the main body of the gun. But the plastic used for it is a bit too soft, so the top handle is useless and the stock threatens to warp if held wrong.

Ben also comes with an alt head of him in a gas mask, which is pretty nice. It’s a full head and neck piece (with no articulation) and I was a bit worried that it’d be an absolute pain to get the normal head out, as the heads on these figures usually come off very easily while the necks stay in. But actually, it’s fine. I don’t know what they’ve done there, but the regular head and neck come out together no problem.

So yeah, solid but not spectacular sums him up well. A perfectly good sculpt, nice paint apps but nothing that wows and warrants how bloody annoying he was to get hold of.

SDCC Transformers reveals:

Powerlinx Hot Shot and Jolt

Amazon exclusive Deadeye Duel Kaskade vs Javelin 2-pack, referencing a scene from the IDW2 comics

Amazon Exclusive Nova Prime (he’s a full redeco of Siege Galaxy Prime but I can’t get any other photos of him to embed)

Pulse Exclusive Shattered Glass Rodimus and Sideswipe

Pulse Exclusive Legacy Stunticons 5-pack

Breakdown has a new head sculpt

Nacelle, another IDW2 representation

SS86 Commander Class Ultra magnus

Frenzy (Red)

Ratchet

SS RotB Novakaine, a redeco of Freezer

Noah in Exosuit

Mirage with the revised face deco

Nightbird

SS 15th anniversary movie Decepticons 5-pack

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by lorcan_nagle.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by lorcan_nagle.

Of these, I’m definitely down for Javelin vs Kaskade and Nova Prime. Nacelle’s a maybe depending on price and how easy he is to get. And if I find Ultra Magnus deeply discounted he’s a maybe too, but I do still quite like Combiner Wars Magnus

I might get that Ratchet. UM looks nice, but yeah, same here, I still like the CW one enough to keep it and not double dip.

Nacelle is also an Amazon exclusive and pre-orders are up so I’ve got the three of them pre-ordered on dot com right now.

Transformers x Stranger Things crossover figure

So, it anybody going to drop US$1,499 for this: Transformers Grimlock Auto-Converting Robot – Flagship Collector’s Edition

Just remember, there is a limit of 5 per customer.

I feel towards the Robosen Transformers similarly to Thew Adams and Gav Spence:

My heart sank a bot when I saw the thumbnail for the TRDQ Robosen review, thinking he’d sold out, but I should have had more faith in Gavin.

Incidentally, when Steam was playing me up the other day and throwing up stupid error messages, I realised I was reading them in the mocking commentators voice Gav uses. I guess that’s fully internalised now.

I actually saw him in my LCS a few months ago and was tempted to go over and say hi, but he was with friends and I didn’t want to be one of those people. The urge to go “Och, but GAAAAAAAAAAAAVIN” was huge

The Joe panel at SDCC was on tonight. Lots of cool reveals: General Hawk, Helix, Buzzer, Ripper, Clutch with VAMP and text only reveals of retro classic Duke and Scarlett.

And also Tripwire which went up for pre-order tonight. Not a character I expected to be interested in but he’s got a great head sculpt, a cool updated design and a rat!

But he’s due mid-August, which is the annoying/baffling thing. That’s sooner than all the reveals/pre-orders from the past month or so. Why hold this back for a short term pre-order? Why not have it available alongside all the other ones? Why not have the figures due November/whenever be the pre-order for tonight? So frustrating. God I wish this line was ever actually available after the pre-order periods.

there’s weirdness going on with the pre-orders from Hasbro allright. The rest of Amazon’s exclusives have a release date of July 26th on .co.uk and October 1st on .com.

Studio Series Perceptor wasn’t a figure I was ever going to bother with, but for £10, it’s a good buy. He’s simple and uncomplicated but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Can’t see anything to his left, mind.

A few weeks back, I was helping my nephew build some Lego and thought “I could go for this myself”. I’ve resisted the lure of Lego for a couple of years now but relented and got the modern version of a set my brother had when we were kids: the Forestmen Forest Hideout.

And it’s a nice kit. A pleasant way to spend an evening building it. The modernisations to the design are clever and show how far Lego’s come in ~35 years. Not just the organicky tree branch parts replacing the old harsh stepped elements but even the little archery target is more intricately and better designed.

The tampographing on the shields is a big improvement on the old painted shields too, should survive much better. And of course there’s the more expressive faces and detailed torso patterns.

Part of why I resisted getting any Lego is that a) it’s expensive and b) it’s a slippery slope. I think I can avoid getting the £350 Castle Lion but man that Medieval Blacksmith set is tempting. Maybe the Viking longboat…

I have bought some more minifigs already though. You only get two Forestmen with the set and it’s crying out for more. I looked at using Bricklink to buy parts for more but man, the costs on that up (especially postage). Then I remembered that Lego sell individual parts. When I was a kid this was a mail order flyer in with the Club Lego newsletter that just seemed to be completely random parts. Now you can get pretty much anything from any current set. So hello two more Forestmen, a Lion Knight and a Falcon Knight from the Castle Lion – all customised a bit with interesting faces and hair (but not a Robin Hood hat, that has to come from Denmark not Poland like the rest :unsure:) Quite a cool service.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Yeah I still love Lego and I like that it manages to cater for everyone – there are great sets still coming out for kids, as well as some excellent nostalgia/retro-reinvention kits for older fans based on classic themes like Space, Castle and Pirates.

And then there’s the big detailed models that are more adult-oriented (which are the ones I like as you can spend a few evenings happily constructing these big cool pieces with intricate and clever mechanisms).

This year alone I’ve built the ’89 Batwing, the Ecto-1, the new UCS X-Wing and most recently the new Pac-Man arcade machine set, which is awesome and features a really inventive underlying mechanism to make it “play” as you turn the handle, a similar idea (but very different mechanism) to the Mario NES set from a while ago.

Out of all of those I think the Ecto-1 was probably my favourite though, as it really captures the look of the movie version while also featuring loads of clever little working features that are really pleasing to build.

I always coveted the Pirate sets as a kid but never got one (don’t really know why – had some other larger Lego sets), so that new 3 in 1 galleon is tempting. I really like that 3 builds in 1 concept too, it’s a smart idea.

I’d be all over new Space sets if they were doing the subsets I had. They’ve stuck to the early theme (I think called Futuron if anything) and the blander early version of Blacktron. If they did some new M-Tron, Blacktron 2, Ice Planet, Spyrion or Explorians, I’d definitely get some.

I’d be all over new Space sets if they were doing the subsets I had. They’ve stuck to the early theme (I think called Futuron if anything) and the blander early version of Blacktron. If they did some new M-Tron, Blacktron 2, Ice Planet, Spyrion or Explorians, I’d definitely get some.

Yeah I used to like M-Tron and the Space Police stuff, although I also had some of the original space Lego and original Blacktron stuff too. A good era for Lego.

Part of why I resisted getting any Lego is that a) it’s expensive and b) it’s a slippery slope.

I understand completely. I started playing with Lego when I was a child in the 1970s. It certainly has come a long way over the decades.

When I go to a store with toys, I always look at Lego, Transformers, and action figures. I never buy any because a) that may open the gates to financial hell, b) I really don’t have a place for that kind of stuff anymore, and c) it will just end up sitting there collecting dust. It’s fun to look at in the store but at this point in my life, that’s good enough for me. I follow a few Transformer collectors on Instagram and YouTube so I get my fix that way.

So I missed Iguanus  when he hit retail in Dublin, saw he was still in-stock on BBTS and planned to get him when my SS86 rumble pre-order came in… and then Forbidden Planet restocked him, so eh, I picked him up local.  And he’s a really nice little figure.  Like Bomb-Burst his robot mode is a nice blend of the G1 beast shell and robot bits, his transformation has some really nice little touches – while still being shockingly similar to Cy-Kill from the Go-bots.  My only real complaint is that there are two square tabs on the legs that jut outwards in robot mode, they’re there to clip into the main body to secure the legs in bike mode (and are kinda hard to line up correctly), and because of how the legs twist around they wind up on the outside in robot mode.  Might have been better to have the tabs on the body and slots on the legs? Oh, and the weapon is a bit shit, but that was a cross-wave thing, Iguanus, Hot Rod and Thundercracker came with bits that could combine to form a sword instead of more character-appropriate ones.  Oh oh, and the price increase on Core class figures makes me less likely to go in on them, they’re close to what I was paying for a Deluxe 6-odd years ago.

Scraphook is the first of the deluxe Junkion toys, which are Legacy Evolution’s “take them apart to make accessories for other bots” subline. Unlike the various options in War For Cybertron, these bots are meant to be transformable without taking them apart.  And that mostly works!  Robot mode gives off Ironhide vibes, like if he wound up exiled to Junk instead of Megatron in that one comic with the Livio Ramondelli art.  He’s nicely poseable, but the design of the elbows means the forearms are prone to popping off.  Transformation is a bit fiddly at the back as well, and sometimes it’s easier to remove the arms and forearms, reconfigure them and then clip everything back into place.
    The vehicle mode, a Mad Max-esque tow truck is very cool looking.  The collection of accessories is impressive and integrate well into the vehicle mode – a pair of steampunk phaser-looking pistols that become the engine block at the front, a small spiked shield that mounts nicely on the back of the truck like a spare tire. the only accessory that stands out is the towhook and crane, they look good in vehicle mode but are hard to find a place in robot mode, I just hide them round the back usually though

It seems to just be easier to get Decepticon Targetmasters done. Needlenose completes the Double Targetmasters, having been preceded by Quake in Titans Return and Spinister in Siege while the Autobots haven’t even got all the original Targetmasters out there yet.  Unlike the prior two Decepticon Double Targetmasters, Needlenose comes with his Targetmaster partners. This turns out to be a mixed blessing, but we’ll get to that.  His robot mode is another entry in the modernised version of the G1 original paradigm, with a lot of improvements in terms of poseability, including double-jointed elbows and wrist swivel.  In a very nice touch, the wings angle back, and if you rearrange the back kibble, they can fold a full 90 degrees giving a bunch of options for altering his silhouette

Transformation is a bit weird, you lift up the shoulder pads, flip down the chestplate.  the head is on a joint that lets it flip around 180 degrees and in a really cool touch – reveal a 3mm port for a display stand.  You then fold the arms up at the elbow and then they turn upwards forming a pair of squares either side of the display stand port.  the legs are then folded up and around the torso with the edges of the arm assemblies fit into gaps on the backs of the legs.  The feet then fold up as well and tab in under the jet mode’s engine and then you fold down the nosecone and wings to finish it off.

Jet mode is very much the standard Transformers thing of looking like an aircraft from above, in this case an F-16XL, and a jumble of folded up robot parts from below.  The feet forming a chunk of… stuff sticking out underneath the engine is pretty egregious but isn’t too noticeable from above. The instructions have an alternate configuration where you leave the feet flush to the legs and mount the targetmasters back there like an expanded engine but it looks terrible.

And speaking of looking terrible, there’s the Targetmaster partners. Crosshairs’ partner hews very close to the G1 original, and for some reason Needlenose’s partners hew close to his G1 partners too… and if you’ve never had the pleasure of the Double Targetmasters they’re slabs of plastic with a human shape in relief on one side, and then flip-out gun barrels on the other.  They look fine as guns but are doubly uninspiring as little dudes.  The other thing here is that one of the suggested ways of combining the guns in the original toy was to fold out the barrel on one, and then put the other one on top backwards with the barrel folded up – but the barrel would be pointing outwards and visible due to how the figure was constructed. But because Zigzag has a big tab at the back of his feet, presumably for balance in his Nebulan form, they also allow him to connect to Needlenose’s engines in plane form as a sort of engine booster effect.  As a result you can’t mount Sunbeam on top of Zigzag in this configuration, and Zigzag’s gun barrels are blocked somewhat behind the tabs the other way round. This is a minor quibble overall but still.

As a fan of More Than Meets the Eye, there was no way I was skipping out on Tarn, and he’s a very impressive figure.  The robot mode goes for the tall, lanky interpretation of the character design rather than the broad, looming one, and looks fantastic.  He’s very poseable and lithe, without much in the way of non-functional kibble.  There’s a lot of clear plastic on here but while it’s meant to evoke the glowing panels on his body in the comics, there aren’t sufficient channels through the body to allow for decent light piping.

Transformation has some interesting touches, especially around how the arms unfold into the tank tracks, but at the end of the day it’s just folding him down into a slab that kinda looks like a tank.  But it does look like his alt mode in the comics, so I guess it works? Overall this is one of those figures that’s highly popular with fans of the comics, but has enough appeal out of that niche that he’s done well, I guess?  I really like him anyway.

Lio Convoy is one of those characters where I have no major emotional attachment.  I first became aware of him when Robot Masters figures were being imported and the figure of him in that line looked really cool – but I never got him. I’ve seen a handful of Beast Wars II episodes and read the Furman Beast Wars comics where he’s a character, but nothing made a big impression.  Certainly not enough to make me consider tracking down any of his prior toys… But this one just showed up in Smyths and I liked the look of robot mode, so why not?
    Like Tarn, this is a tall, slim robot but with a lot of lion bits hanging off him.  The most incongruous are the lion forelegs mounted on his forearms.  Now, they’re there in the original figure design and they retain the flip-out blades here but they do stand out.  the other weapons are a quartet of small guns which hide quite neatly away, but can be mounted in the hands, on flip-out panels in the arms or panels in the lion head – again like the original toy.  He’s also got an opening compartment on his chest revealing his Energon Matrix, but unlike various Autobot Matrices of Leadership we’ve gotten recently, it’s not removable.

Transformation is really cool, doing a lot more to shift and move parts around, conceal robot components and the like… But as Martin noted the head in lion mode doesn’t look great with the lifeless gold eyes. The original and Robot Masters toys have painted eyes, and the Masterpiece’s head actually transforms from an angular head to a smoother anime-looking one, but whether it was a budget or design choice it doesn’t look good.

I recorded something off the channel Trace Vault (a music channel that also shows stuff like Kenan and Kel) on Sky this morning and it got the end of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I was surprised to see that it’s sponsored by Hasbro Pulse. Did not expect to ever see Shattered Glass Grimlock and Classified Snow Job on TV. Makes sense for Pulse though and I guess given Hasbro own MMPR now they’ve got the sponsorship free, like the syndication ad deals they used to do in the 80s in the US.

So my wallet has taken a pounding these last few weeks. The Senator Shockwave/Orion Pax pack shipped, as did Javelin/Kaskade and Nacelle – thankfully Amazon cancelled my Nova Prime order claiming they couldn’t get stock so I’ll get him from the US when he ships in October. On top of that Origin Jazz showed up a couple of weeks ago, and my LCS got in the army-builder 4-pack and a Macross figure for me this week…

I’ve saved myself a bit of pre-order pain by cancelling very last minute (Pulse sent me a dispatch warning on the weekend and release date was yesterday but I still hadn’t been charged late last night) the Cobra Eel. I was looking at the stock photos again and I appreciate the design, but it doesn’t really do a huge amount for me. Underwater characters are always annoying to pose in any way that doesn’t feel a bit goofy (why I didn’t bother with Torpedo). Plus, with postage it worked out to the best part of £30 which is just too much.

I got Classified Tripwire last week who proved to be something of a disappointment.

He’s not a character I actually care that much for, but the stock photos swung it for me as being a cool figure, with a nice head sculpt and a fun rat companion buddy. I think pre-order rush mania blinded me a little to the £35 price tag.

In person, he’s really not all that. The nice face sculpt? Much more sinister in person. There’s much heavier paint apps on it than the photos show, giving him the look of Boris Karloff. Really haggard and unpleasant.

The cool rat partner? In the stock photos, there’s a pleasant colour scheme of light brown with white on the belly and feet. In person, it’s moulded in a dull dark brown and its feet have been dipped in a very weak, light grey paint. To be honest, it looks like a knock off of the one on the box.

The other accessories are similarly disappointing. The backpack can only hold one of the included mines, which have posts on them now, for some reason (and no posthole opposite for the obvious aim of stacking). There’s a flexible hose that connects it to the metal detector, which, in the spirit of all hose accessories on action figures, is rubbish and can barely stay attached. The remote control drone is a bit flimsy, with bits coming apart at the joints far too easily. And then the vest options (one normal flakjacket, one heavy bomb disposal) are annoying because they do up via little tabs down the sides, which given they’re soft vinyl and facing in, are pretty much impossible to get to stay closed.

It was all underwhelming enough, especially for the money, that I ended up returning it.

I’ve never been a big action figure guy but ever since stumbling upon the Studio Series movie line of Transformers randomly at Kmart and grabbing the Blaster figure I’ve been picking up various additional ones when I see them – Hot Rod, Kup, Brawn and most impressive of all, coronation Starscream.

I’m really impressed with the build quality and the complexity of the transformations, a massive jump from my childhood toys! I had an original Starscream and it was always a bit lame how the transformation relied on detaching and reattaching parts, and that the arms and legs were barely articulated – the new one is amazing in comparison.

starscream1

starscream2

Fans Reporting “Fungal Growth” on Amazon Exclusive Nacelle Figure

Well that’s not what you want.

Apparently it’s just mold release agent and not, you know, actual mold. And it’s only been found on a literal handful of figures. My one is fine so far anyway.

But I opened up a tub of figures yesterday and found my Artfire has yellowed in places even though he’s not been on display in ages…

Yellowing is so frustrating. I think it can be heat as much as light sometimes.

Yeah, and in the meantime I’ve had a recent Macross acquisition on display beside my desk for almost the full year with nothing happening to its white sections, while older Bandai figures in this line have reported yellowing problems – but those older figures have a gloss finish and the newer ones have matt, so maybe that’s the difference?

There have been recent TFs that have yellowed in the box (Legacy Motormaster, I think), which is mad. I know the root cause is the chemicals they add to make the plastic less flammable, but it’s weird that there can be so much variance.

I took advantage of the heatwave to try some retrobriting, having another go at the evaporation tank method. Last time I tried it, it didn’t do much. Not sure if that was due to it being too cold (the peroxide condensated, so maybe not?) or not getting enough sunlight. So I adjusted my set-up and got some great results.

I put in an old RGB Egon with a heavily yellowed torso, a random Mortdredd leg I got in a job lot last year that was so yellowed it looked green (because it’s meant to be blue) and the head off my BW Megatron, which had discoloured years ago and then got bleached patches from when I tried the hair creme method.

I left them going 48 hours. All have turned out well. Egon is still yellowed but markedly less so. Megs looks back to his proper purple* while Mortdredd:

Before

63E35C18-E93F-4B52-BA2E-681BD7C824A0

After

6C1EA421-7EF7-460E-9B15-7B2D936837D5

Much better than I ever expected of that.

I set another batch going this morning, but the weather’s turned, so we’ll see if that hinders it.

Oh, one odd thing: I used some of my 3D printed resin Visionaries stand misprints to rest the pieces on, so they weren’t submerged in the peroxide at all. They cane out really flexible, like silicon or rubber (albeit with a snapping point). No idea how the peroxide caused that. I wonder if there’s a use for it?

*edit: actually, looking at it again under artificial light, it looks bleached again, which it did not this morning. Weird.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Martin Smith.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Martin Smith.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiSnIFZAmxq/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ironically, Hasbro was the target of a letter writing campaign over Optimus Prime’s death and it directly lead to his return at the end of series 3 of the cartoon. The UK release of the movie even had a voiceover at the end that said “Optimus Prime, the greatest robot of them all will return”

Pulsecon kicking off in about 15 minutes, Thew Adams and Dan Larson are hosting. Transformers are up about 15 minutes in, followed by Power Rangers, Star Wars, D&D, Magic, Marvel Legends and then GI Joe

Dan Larson and Thew Adams are such a weird pairing. Larson is a total American DJ type, smooth talking, always feels like he’s auto-reading copy, whereas Thew is… grating.

I liked Tasmanian Kid from the TF line up and… not much else. Magmatron should be cool.

I’m glad there wasn’t many TFs I’m interested in because I am pre-ordering a lot of Joes tonight (Hawk, Ripper, Buzzer, Helix and Shockwave).

Legacy United Wave 1:

Core Class Energon Universe Megatron:

Tasmania Kid:

Bouldercrash. He’s part of this year’s line of bots that become weapons and armour for everyone else, they’re partially a homage to Rock Lords and the Headmasters episode Sixshot, My Friend.

Deluxe Class Magneous, another figure from the same subset

Animated Universe Bumblebee:

Rescue Bots Universe Chase:

Cyberverse Universe Windblade:

Voyager Class Prime Universe Thundertron:

Animated Universe Optimus Prime:

Leader Class Tigerhawk

They’re also reissuing G2 Universe Laser Prime for Wave 1 of Legacy United.

Not a massive amount exciting here, I must say. Bouldercrash and Tasmania kid look cool but Core Class is very expensive for what you get these days. Magneous is probably a get, Windblade is a strong maybe – she’s definitely the first version of the character to make me consider replacing the original. Thundertron and Tigerhawk are definite buys.

A photostitch of the Legacy United poster

Tigerhawk just confirms my suspicion that the character is an inherently bad design. Fuzors are great, but with TM2 bits added, they look weird.

I hope the listing/rumour of Silverbolt comes true though.

I just want the whole Beast Wars cast

Hmm. Can I hotlink from Discord? I can never remember.

MP Rhinox

Legacy Silverbolt

Rhinox would have to do a lot over above the Thrilling 30 one, I think (and even then, I’d only get it as a KO). Silverbolt is a must buy though. He looks great.

I’m so here for Legacy Silverbolt. Need them to do Quickstrike too

D40D11A0-8397-4EB8-9A3D-3DBFD1A69742
    9B3AF9E2-A7B3-44A8-A79E-6310FF0ED930

Woof!

I’m very curious about how he’s gonna transform, the robot mode legs are the forelegs in doggybot mode.

This is a common refrain, I know, but I really don’t get Hasbro a lot of the time.

Months ago, they announced a Tunnel Rat figure for GI Joe Classified. Looked pretty good, I pre-ordered it alongside some other pieces. Not out until March next year (which is actually after the wave of figures they put up for pre-order a couple of months later).

Yesterday, surprise drop of three Night Force exclusive figures including… a hitherto unmentioned Night Force Tunnel Rat. Available: right now! And it’s got a better deco. So I cancelled my pre-order for the other one and ordered this one instead. I can’t imagine I’m going to be alone in doing that. It’s just nonsensical on so many levels. Why would this one be available immediately on announcement but the other takes nine months? Why release two versions of the same character so close together (I’m not opposed to repaints, but spread them out FFS)?

And in more “Hasbro (Pulse) are annoying” news, they’ve been running a clearance sale the past week or two. They didn’t email anyone about it until about two days after it started, when some stuff had already sold out, which seems stupid. They moved all the items on clearance to the tops of their categories, as well as having a general clearance page and so I’ve just been looking in the sections I’m interested in, as it’s quicker than filtering the clearance page. They’ve said a few times in emails that there’s more stuff added to the sale, but I’ve not actually noticed anything, so I assumed it was just them reminding/repeating like they tend to do a lot in their emails.

I’ve also been keeping an eye on whether Classified Sgt Slaughter would be added. My dad was in the US the other week and so I asked if he could look in an Ollie’s for one there, but he struck out. I had another email from Pulse yesterday promising new things on clearance, I had a quick scan and saw nothing new. Had a closer look this morning, while checking the dates on my various pre-orders and lo, Sgt Slaughter was on sale, down to a very reasonable £15. But already sold out. How hadn’t I seen it when I looked the past few days? Because until all the initial clearance items, it hadn’t been moved to the top of its category page. Also, it was added to the bottom of the second page of the clearance section, so I’d scanned that yesterday, I hadn’t got far enough to see it because it didn’t seem like there was anything new added.

Pretty damn annoyed really.

If anyone in the US has an Ollie’s nearby and is able to find a Sgt Slaughter on sale there, I’d be willing to pay cost + postage plus about 10% if you can get one.

Surprisingly, my not very healthy process of obsessively and dejectedly checking the product page for Slaughter on the off-chance it came back in stock paid off, as it has indeed come back in stock this afternoon. Especially surprisingly given that a) the clearance sale, while still going, has been de-emphasised in favour of a rubbish 25% off over £x Black Friday sale and b) Slaughter (along with the Blue Ninjas and Kamakura, who were also apparently clearanced and sold out) had been removed from both the clearance page and the main GI Joe category page and also suppressed in search results. Which is weird, because Pulse never seems to remove old, sold out product from its site. It’s still got most of Kingdom up on there to look at and not buy.

Anyway, I’ve got one on the way now. And I threw a TF Legacy Scraphook for £13 in too because I guess I’m in an incurably abusive relationship with Hasbro’s bullshit and reward their shittiness. :unsure:

Hey, I forgot to talk about those Pulse clearance purchases and I got a new release today.

Scraphook

Great alt mode. Robot mode is fairly good, but the shoulders are a bit over-bearing. I tried turning him into his armouriser mode, attaching him to Minerva, and it was an unholy mess, so I’m not doing that again. But decent.

Sgt Slaughter

The core figure is cool. Well, once you get the hat and shades on. It’s accurate to the real guy without those, which is fair enough, but not a great look given he was middle-aged in the 80s. Anyway, he comes with various accessories – a swagger stick that he can’t hold brilliantly, a rifle, a whistle and eight hands. Eight! These are closed fists, holding hands, pointing fingers and grapply hands. They are all interesting but that is objectively too many. Not sure which I’d drop though. I’ve got him just about securely holding his whistle, other fist on hip and it looks great. I’m avoiding touching it again so the whistle doesn’t fall out.

Mutt and Junkyard

This is a new release that arrived today. It’s the Joe dog handler (Mutt) and his dog (Junkyard). This is a £45 set and, frankly, it didn’t need to be. You get Mutt, who is a good sculpt. Really great head, as you’d expect from this line now. Nice update of his classic design. Junkyard is also great. He’s a chunky doberman in a green harness with two head options – angry and dopey. Of course I’ve got dopey on there.

Accessories-wise, Mutt has a rifle, a nightstick, a helmet, two pairs of goggles, a muzzle (for Mutt, not the dog) and, again eight hands. This is where it falls down. The rifle and nightstick are fine, but don’t feel entirely right for a dog handler. What he doesn’t have is a lead for Junkyard, which you’d think he would. The helmet feels too rubbery and loose. The goggles are fine – one pair fits on the helmet (I’d have moulded them in, but whatevs) and the other for actual use on Mutt – but the muzzle is really hard to get to stay in place properly. And then the hands which… well, I don’t get them. I don’t even know what most of them are for. Right: gripping (fine), pointing (fine), scooping (I think for holding Junkyard’s harness handle) and closed fist. Left: gripping (fine), sort of pointing but not quite (huh?), flat hand (looks over-sized) and one that’s basically the money gesture. :unsure:

So it just feels like a lot of this is unnecessary padding. I doubt removing it would have lowered the price, I suspect it’s chucked in to get it right up to the edge of the next bracket. But I think there are better choices that could have been made. A lead at the very least.

Also, this set sees a return to plastic window packaging and I have not missed the cacophony of screeching plastic in trying to get figures out of those trays.

Scored another TF Movie toy at Kmart, randomly – Ironhide! I only ever pop in accompanying my wife or to get cheap treats for the dog, but I’ll always swing by the toy section to check for Transformers and this is now the fifth time (with barren stretches in between) where there’s only one box left, and I never see them available again. I’ll snap up pretty much any TF Movie Studio Series toy on sight, but they’re never around (except for Arcee and Junkheap – I do have one of the latter).

ironhide1

ironhide2

I picked up the Studio Series versions of Ironhide and Ratchet recently too. They’re really nice models.

Hey, some more Joe pre-orders turned up! And these are ones I was starting to get a little concerned about. I pre-ordered them back in about June from Star Action Figures, who were – before Hasbro made GI Joe exclusive to Pulse – one of the main retailers for it in Europe. They’ve been pretty vocal about being pissed off about that (with a lot of rants on Facebook that verge on just alienating me entirely, even though I agree with them) and as a bit of bedroom protest last year, they started doing grey imports for Classified, at cost/a small loss, to compete with Pulse. And then gave up after about four figures because they claimed Hasbro was threatening them on their domestic orders, which… feels plausible but would also be illegal, I suspect, and I’m not sure SAF are an entirely reliable narrator.

Anyway! I had Snow Serpent and Lowlight pre-ordered with them and they were due originally in about September, I think. Maybe October. That slipped to November. Then December. Then January. And I was starting to worry that their grey market source had vanished, they’d cancel and I’d be screwed, because these sold out on Pulse ages ago. Another complication was that my debit card expired in Oct and SAF has no way of letting you update your card details for pre-orders, they just say to let the payment fail and then respond when they email you about it, which doesn’t feel desperately convenient.

But the payment went through fine (somehow!) yesterday, out of the blue, and they arrived today. Huzzah!

So, Lowlight is pretty damn cool. He’s the Joe’s sniper and has a mid-grey and black look, which is pepped up with a red shoulder pad and a bright red visor/goggles thing. That was hard sculpted on the original figure, but this is removeable, revealing baggy, sleep-deprived eyes, which is a nice detail. He comes with some kind of tablet doodad and a knife, which store away in holsters, a SMG with removeable clip, a sniper rifle with removeable scope, silencer (which I think can also go on the SMG) and feet, a case for the rifle and it’s bits to go in and a backpack, which has a storage peg for the SMG on the side. So it’s a nice, tidy array of accessories.

So this is a very faithful update of the original, taking elements of the “Modern Era” 3.75″ figure too (the rifle case and how it pegs in on his back with the backpack into that), and missing some of the usual Classified greeblies, like that glowy blue thing they keep putting on Joes. A really successful figures.

Snow Serpent is another “deluxe” figure, meaning it’s at the next price point up. I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by those recently, as they feel like unnecessary ways of inflating the price. Snow Serpent comes with so much stuff though that it really feels like good value for money. With the figure you get: a visor, a backpack that holds the four missiles and a hanging perch for his missile launcher (that’s all recycled from Bazooka, admittedly), a knife, a rifle with removable clip, an SMG with removable clip, two pistols, snow shoes, a snowboard, a wolf fur cloak and a wolf headdress thing. That’s a lot of stuff and they all work well with the figure.

Trouble is, most of those bits don’t work together en masse or feel entirely like they have a place with the figure. The knife for instance, which is just a bog standard little black plastic knife, has no sheath to go in, which is usually standard for Classified figures with knives. The pistols have holsters, but there’s no storage options for either of the other guns. The missile launcher can go on the backpack, sure, but the backpack can’t be used with the cloak and headdress. The snow shoes have no storage either, nor does the snowboard.

What this means is that you’ve got a single figure with, rather than a single complex load out, a modular set of options. And that’s not terrible, but it means you’re going to have lots of bits just hanging around to go in a box or waiting to get lost. Which seems a bit silly to do intentionally. I think this would have been better off with one simplified load-out and sold as a normal figure, with the other option (probably the wolf heavy one) being done as a unit commander type. As it is, I’ve basically got a choice of what he’s going to be holding onto and everything else is going in the bits box to be forgotten about. Compare that to Lowlight, who can comfortably hold all his gear, it’s not as good.

Also, the snowboard will not attach to his feet properly, so that’s a bit of a waste. And that knife is just a bit baffling, really.

So I bought a bootleg Lego set off AliExpress.

£40 or so for a nearly 2000 piece set. It’s not a proper Lego set but rather one that was designed for Bricklink and… I think either sold as just instructions and you had to source all the parts yourself or sold as a very limited run thing. Either way, the price estimate I remember seeing was about £200.

At such a massive discount you would reasonably expect lower quality and some of this is. The minifigures are supplied completely disassembled (arms not in torsos even) and the printing on them is grainy AF. But I don’t care about that, I have lots of minifigs and so will probably silo these away or possibly give them to my niece and nephew to go with their Lego. The actual bricks themselves are good though. No Lego logos on the studs and there’s an injection moulding mark on one stud of each piece but those aren’t problems. They’re high quality, glossy, sturdy and fit together well.

The build itself is fun. Gargantuan. Over 650 steps. I’m not even at 100 after three hours (a good 30 minutes of that was spent hunting for a piece I thought was missing but which I’d actually mistakenly used earlier). My only real complaint is that it’s weirdly hard to tell the difference between the dark grey, light grey and sand yellow pieces i  the printed instructions, which is mad given they look nothing like each other in person.

A progress shot:

27DDBD05-5DF9-4291-85B8-62564A8915F3

Look out Cobra, here comes Ralph!

And, er, Bucky O’Hare, cos my desk is getting a bit cluttered.

Wait, which one’s Ralph?

Wait, which one’s Ralph?

Yes.

He’s the one to the right of the green ra— hey, there’s no-one there!

Up for pre-order today, the first chunk of this year’s Amazon/Pulse exclusive Mayhem attack squad set.  Two 2-packs: one is Barrage and Chop Shop, the other Brakedown and Windsweeper

I’m down for these.  Brakedown is of minimal interest as I managed to get the Prime 10th Anniversary reissue, but the other three?  Hell yeah

I’m definitely interested in Barrage and Chop Shop. A load of new Joe pre-orders have gone up too, though thankfully all due in mid-July and not 10th April as all of the last two waves of pre-orders are.

Oof, just seen the price on Barrage and Chop Shop: £56! No thanks.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Martin Smith.

I have my pre-oders in with Amazon.com, now to see if they also show up on .co.uk

Walmart-exclusive Star Raiders figures:

Cannonball:

Ferak:

Filch:

And Lockdown:

Ferak and Lockdown are probables for me

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by lorcan_nagle.

Presumably these are the reveals intended for the livestream this afternoon?

Could be, yeah

Or maybe they’ll “reveal” the first two Mayhem Attack Squad sets and an animation-accurate Blaster redeco.  I guess we’re getting the Star Raiders next week

But they also revealed loads of random assemblages of pre-existing art assets on t-shirts!

I thought some of the shirts looked nice, actually.  Not like I’m going to buy them but still.

http://kck.st/437jQyy

I always used to say that Amazon, despite being an amoral mega-corp with a video streaming service that is the modern equivalent of the dump bin of crappy VHS tapes in a Safeway, at least had good customer service if you had a problem.

I take that back. I pre-ordered Legacy Tasmania Kid with them in December, due in January. I’ve been dealing with customer services about it the last few weeks, culminating in an hour with them today and it’s like getting lobotomised in slow motion.

My pre-order said it was “sold and fulfilled by Amazon EU”. I have multiple pieces of evidence backing that up. Other European Amazons are selling the item with immediate dispatch to the UK, but they’re still not fulfilling my order. When I queried this today – after being fobbed off and strung along three times previous by CSAs that clearly will now just say what bit of nonsense they can to get you to leave the chat – they kept gaslighting me. “Your order is with Amazon UK”. No it isn’t. “The fulfilment centre doesn’t have any”. Why are they able to sell me one from France then? “Oh, it’s actually available from Amazon EU now on Amazon UK” (which wasn’t showing up for me initially) “you should just order it from them”. I ALREADY HAVE, SEND IT TO ME!

I’m sure that the price now is £17+ versus the £7.49 pre-order price guarantee I had originally has absolutely nothing to do with how keen they all were to get me to just order again and even cancel my original order without my permission. They kept saying “if you order again, upon delivery we can refund you the difference if you contact support again”. Mate, I wouldn’t even trust you to tell me the time at this point, I’m not paying over 200% the original price on faith you’ll refund some of it.

I eventually got them to give me the difference in advance as a gift card balance and ordered again. It’ll be here Saturday, apparently. Still no explanation why my original order (and everyone else’s that pre-ordered) couldn’t be.

I’ve had various pre-orders be fulfilled recently, so here are some thoughts. No pictures because I can’t be arsed!

GI Joe Classified Buzzer
    Buzzer is one of the best characters in the original Marvel series and he has a great look with the welding goggles that he never takes off.
    Anyway, this figure has removable welding goggles. They don’t stay on particularly well and the arms stick out at the temples, especially as there’s no purchase on the ears for them to rest. I’m not quite sure why they did that rather than hard sculpt them in. It’s a good head sculpt but who wants to see Buzzer without his goggles? Perverts, that’s who.
    The rest of the figure is solid. He comes with a chainsaw, which is suitably big but also tricky to pose him with given that. He also has a blade on a chain thing and a baseball bat with saw blades stuck in the end, which are cool, but feel superfluous given the chainsaw.

GI Joe Classified Shooter
    This character started as an in-joke. In Marvel #1 there’s a bank of monitors showing the Joe team but there’s one monitor spare (as there’s 13 Joes) so it’s partially covered by a hand but the name Shooter is visible, as a reference to Jim Shooter. Devil’s Due’s GI Joe Classified in the mid-00s was a continuity insert story around #1, showing the backstory of the original team members and it added Shooter, a sniper that back-stopped the team’s mission without them knowing and then… died? Or went AWOL? I can’t remember.
    Anyway, this is Shooter brought up to date. She’s in the Night Force sub-line, like Big Ben, so has a gas mask. I think Night Force might be a kink club. The gas mask is part of a hair option, which is a nice way of doing it. She has two other hair options too. And mainly a big ass sniper rifle, which she can hold and pose with surprisingly well. The uniform’s a tad unmemorable, but as ever, a really good face sculpt ties it all together.

TF Legacy Snarl
    Oh alright “Tasmania Kid”. This is a slightly odd figure because it’s a new version of a basic size BW figure in the current equivalent, the (hardly stocked) core class, which are generally much smaller than BW basics were. So this new Snarl is smaller than the original (I think – I’ve not directly compared. It’s not as tiny as the core class Kingdom Rattrap thankfully). It also largely shares the same transformation so there’s not a whole lot here that feels properly new or pressing. I suppose the old one being nearly 30(!) years old is justification enough to do a new one though.
    The bot mode is pretty great and very poseable (although again, so was the old one). The beast mode is less successful. It’s more poseable than the original, but there’s been an attempt to be more accurate to real Tasmanian Devils, which actually makes it looks worse, imo. The head doesn’t click together brilliantly either. Accuracy to nature feels a tad mood given Snarl’s colours are nothing like real Tasmanian Devils (which are black). But the robot is good enough and he can very successfully do a Jon Pertwee “rubbing the back of the neck in consternation” pose, so what more do you want?

GI Joe Classified General Hawk
    This is Hawk in his classic v2 look of bomber jacket and goggles on helmet. It looks great, perfectly capturing the design. His upper body is all hard plastic, oddly, which makes his arms very stiff. I think his legs are repurposed from Bazooka and have the same hip issue I had with that (where one leg’s ball and socket joint is too tight and just twisting the ball rather than moving around it) but I can live with that. Nice head sculpt, which makes him look a bit old and haggard, helped by a grey streak in his hair (brown, rather than blond, which is understandable, but I prefer OG comics blonde Hawk). Another really solid figure that looks good enough to gloss over its flaws. Also he comes with two pairs of goggles, so you can keep on one the helmet, where they’re meant to be and the other are sized to actually go on his face. Like to wear. Which is just weird, man. Hawk never actually wore those goggles.

GI Joe Classified Ripper
    Ripper had a pretty good look in the 80s with some red sunglasses he never took off. Anyway, this figure has removable sunglasses. But they work better than Buzzer’s because they fit onto the head/face better. Plus, they’ve done something interesting with this by giving Ripper a skull design contact lens/glass eye on one side. Makes for some very cool posing. Ripper comes with suitably bladey knife and pistol and his classic accessory of a rifle with a blade on (which is what he used in the comic and I think cartoon). But he also comes with a large jaws of life accessory, which is even bulkier than Buzzer’s chainsaw and awkward for him to hold. Really nice figure over all though and certainly better than the 25th Anniversary one I had.

GI Joe Classified Agent Helix
    Helix was created for a video game tie-in to the 2009 live action movie I think, and has proved the most popular part of that entire endeavour. She’s got a look that is quite sub-Ultraviolet, I would say, a bit technoindustrial goth but with hi-vis yellow thrown in and two tone hair. It’s a world away from the style of most Joe characters, but it fits regardless. I was a little hesitant of the figure because that hair (black underneath and roots with peroxide blonde on top) looked a bit rough in the promo pictures, but in person it really works, with nice blending to the roots and a black strand falling between her eyes. It’s a really sweet head sculpt as well.
    Problem I had is that the figure came out the box with incredibly warped legs, bent to the left at the knee by about 35 degrees on one and little less on the other. I contacted Pulse about this, requesting a replacement (thinking that the central knee joint was hard plastic that wouldn’t respond to heat treatment). They just immediately refunded me and told me that this brand new figure they’d just fulfilled pre-orders on was out of stock and they couldn’t supply a replacement. :unsure: This was middle of this past week, so I ran up against the Easter holidays chasing this, but I looked on Pulse the other day and it’s in stock. But I tried the heat treatment on Friday and was actually able to mostly dewarp the legs (but I really shouldn’t have to for a brand new figure and especially not that much).
    I had a 3.75″ figure of Helix and she had a couple of extended mag SMGs and a ridiculous projectile firing net gun that she couldn’t hold. This Helix again has extended mag SMGs (which look a bit odd, sticking out at the bottom so much), two samurai swords, a big, angled knife and a new set of weird accessories that look silly: wrist mounted flip out blades, which are longer than her forearms. Not quite sure what the thinking was with those.
    So Helix is a bit of a mixed bag. QA issue aside, it’s a pretty cool figure. Accessories are a mixed bag, but the samurai swords and knife are nice at least. I like her general design even though I know it was blatantly done by some video game concept artist trying to make the most “kewl” poochie-esque Mary Sue they could to put in the game (she’s not in the military but is a civilian specialist with a classified background and some super power called Total Organic Battlefield Awareness, who is an expert marksman, expert with swords and an olympic level gymnast. She’s also named after the studio).

TF Legacy Silverbolt
    This is such a solid figure, in every sense. Lovely bot mode that completely captures the character. Properly chunky build. I’m not really one of those TF fans that cares much about the transformation process itself (outside of it not being annoyingly fiddly) but this is really satisfying to do, with everything satisfyingly tabbing into position. Beast mode is sweet, though he’s most restricted to a bit of a downward dog pose. The only fly in the ointment is that an attempt at shading across his beast mode head has turned out very heavy handed, with big black patches that make him look like he’s been hit by an oil spill, rather than actual colour gradation to his fur. But beyond that he’s fantastic.

I keep meaning to write more toy reviews, but as yet have not.  In the meantime I did get another Macross VF-25 last week, the blue guy with the big sniper rifle in this photo

image_2024-03-31_172303025

Now having the three main pilots’ VF-25s I pulled my original RVF-25 (the green one in plane mode here) out of storage to see that there’s some pretty heinous discolouration on the nose and a couple of other spots.  Booo.

How big would a sniper rifle wielded by a gundam be? Hell, how big would the bullets be?

Well the gun on the toy is like 22cm long, and it’s 1/60 scale, so that’s around 12 metres long in “real life”.  It’s a railgun in the show, they use it to snipe enemy mechs.

But also, Macross is the anime where they have spaceships that turn into robots when then shoot other spaceships with rifles that are in themselves separate spaceships, so…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by lorcan_nagle.

Well the gun on the toy is like 22cm long, and it’s 1/60 scale, so that’s around 12 metres long in “real life”.  It’s a railgun in the show, they use it to snipe enemy mechs.

But also, Macross is the anime where they have spaceships that turn into robots when then shoot other spaceships with rifles that are in themselves separate spaceships, so…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by lorcan_nagle.

Then you have the very meta bit in The Transformers The Movie, where Megatron, who can transform into a gun, uses a gun to shoot Optimus Prime.

Big Boa is such a weird character. He was created to be an opponent to Rocky (the Stallone character) who was going to be added to the Joe team the same way Refrigerator Perry and Sgt Slaughter had been. That fell through (though not before Marvel included him in a profile series) but Hasbro carried on with Big Boa anyway. A testament to how well the line was doing, I guess, that they could just throw out a random evil boxer guy.

So here he is in Classified. With nipples! They made a big deal of pointing out that they had to add nipples to the standard Classified buck for this figure. He’s a very faithful update of the original, which means there’s not much to say about him. He doesn’t come with the punching bag the original had, so instead has alt hands, an alt head and a pair of dumbbells.

I really like the alt head, moreso than the weird helmet. The bloodstained, bandaged hands are nice too. But it does feel a bit lacking in accessories compared to the guys who come with multiple weapons and bits.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 5 hours ago by Martin Smith.

Metal Head!

Whose head is absolutely not made of metal. It’s just plastic, same as all the others. Talk about false advertising.

Metal Head is one of those very cool characters hat came out around 1990 that didn’t quite get enough attention as he deserved. Well, he was prominent in the DiC cartoon, but that doesn’t count. Larry Hama had settled mostly on his favourites in the comic by that point and so Metal Head was lucky to get the one issue focus he did.

He is an inherently silly character, given his main thing is having double missile launchers on each thigh, as well as a single launcher over each shoulder. That was all quite boxy on the original figure, but they’ve been nicely updated here. The thigh ones are on a ball joint, so can pivot around a lot, while the shoulder ones (which are actually on a backpack) are on arms with multiple points of articulation. The upside of this is that you can position them in all sorts of positions. The downside is that they move around quite freely and the figure ends up a bit back heavy.

You get a missile for each launcher, but they don’t actually fit in there unless you use the included blast effects (and why would you not). They’re pretty cool and I think actually the first blast effects I’ve had with a Joe figure (and second only after Studio Series Scourge if you include TFs). Getting them out of the plastic tray packaging was less fun though – god I miss the plastic-free packaging already.

As well as all the missiles, Metal Head comes with other stuff, to fill out his deluxe price point. He’s got a knife! He’s got two guns (which I guess he needs while reloading the missiles?! And he’s got three hair options. Pictured is the one based on his classic design, which includes the HUD goggles as part of it. He’s also got a goggle-less hair option, which is nice. And then a helmet, which…

It doesn’t really go, right? Not a problem, because I’m never going to use it, but it’s an odd design to use. It feels more like it should be for a Darkling Lord from Visionaries.

Overall, a good figure and a really cool update of the original. He justifies being in that higher price point (though as ever I question it needing to be priced as high as it is, but that’s a problem with the whole line) with the amount of bits he has.

More Joe pre-orders, finishing off the absolute glut that was scheduled for April and ended up creeping into Feb and March.

Technoviper

This is a pleasingly chunky mould. Lovely colours too. Classified’s been a bit hit and miss with Cobra trooper builders, but I can definitely feel the urge to a get a small squad or flange of these guys. He comes with a few tools that can store in his packback and attach to a hose that connects to the canisters on it. I’m never that keen on hoses on figures and this does little to sway me. He’s got a rifle which can also be hosed up. It doesn’t really have a good storage option but can be shoved into the backpack – I don’t know if that’s intentional or not.

The best accessory he has is a red holographic display that plugs into his wrist for a cool tech read-out thing. Just makes for a very nice pose. A cool figure.

Retro Duke

I wasn’t going to bother with this initially, as I have the Tiger Force Duke, which scratches a childhood nostalgia itch and I don’t want to be doubling up on characters. But I ended up pre-ordering him alongside Retro Beachhead (out in July), even though I’d cancelled Airbourne.

He does feel like the spirit of the original character, whether that be toy, cartoon or comics, completely realised. Really nice head sculpt on him that feels far more like Duke than the first Classified figure’s. His outfit is faithful to the original and yet doesn’t feel dated. He comes with loads of accessories: a backpack, two long guns (one of which is the gun that became the stock laser rifle in the cartoon), a pistol, a knife, a helmet with visor, binoculars, two fist options and a stand. It really underlines how underpacked Big Boa was (and how baffling it is that the stands aren’t included with the regular figures). The binoculars are particularly fun because they actually fit to his face, which isn’t a given with bits like that.

The definitive Duke, frankly.

Retro Scarlett

Now this is a figure I was happy to double up on. I got the initial Classified version of her for custom fodder (which I’ve done nothing with) which has a mess of an outfit and a nice head that didn’t really feel like the charater. I’ve also got the movie version, which has a simpler but kinda bland outfit and a lovely head sculpt that looks a lot like Samara Weaving (who played Scarlet in the Snake Eyes movie). But it still didn’t really feel like Scarlett.

This absolutely does. It nails her original costume, which unlike Duke’s definitely feels dated. It was pretty weird originally, to be fair, and I like that the Classified team haven’t tried to justify or modernise it (which is the point of this subline, after all, being the retro one). I love the muted colours on it too. The head sculpt and face print are exquisite and totally feel like the character. The body sculpt is impressive too. Classified is a little guilty of doing women that are stick thin yet busty, with especially waifish arms (Cover Girls’ in particular – though it’s almost justifiable for her given she’s a model). Scarlett though is built. Not in an overly muscular way but in the torso and thighs especially she feels stout in a realistic way for a judo specialist/soldier.

Scarlett also comes with a load of stuff: a stand, two fist options, a laser rifle, an assault rifle (which I think is entirely down to one Adam Hughes sketch), a knife, a pistol, a backpack, two ponytail options, a crossbow and four arrows (three normal and one sort of grapnel thing). This is where she falls down a little in places. The backpack is nice but the storage pegs for the guns don’t really work, because they end up in odd, restrictive positions on her. The alt ponytail is intended to accommodate the backpack and it’s surprising how sturdy the pegs are on those, I thought they’d tear first time they were taken out of the head. The traditional weapons are fine in and of themselves, though the lack of holster for the pistol seems a shame. The crossbow is Scarlett’s signature weapon but is a bit of letdown. The arrows can go in here hip-quiver, except the grapnel one, because the head’s too big. It looks weird on the crossbow too, so that’s just something to be set aside, frankly. The crossbow itself disassembles into two pieces and I have no idea why. It must be a moulding thing because all it does is make the crossbow more awkward to use, as it constantly comes apart, and more difficult to keep an arrow on.

Scarlett, it must be said, also is very hard to get to stay on her stand. I don’t know why, I think it’s something to do with the ankle joints. But despite these issues, it’s still a fantastic figure that completely captures the character.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 5 hours ago by Martin Smith.

These new Street Fighter II figures from Jada are great.

For the price they have fantastic articulation, great accessories and look excellent. I love the packaging too. I’m going to be tempted to get the full original lineup of these.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6M9ve1PHLE/?igsh=MXNlbGI0ZmJiOWZnZQ==

Viewing 92 replies - 701 through 792 (of 792 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar