The Flash: SPOILER discussion

Home » Forums » Movies, TV and other media » The Flash: SPOILER discussion

Author
Topic

Out in the next couple of days. Discuss with spoilers here.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Author
Replies

I have two kids (aged 12 and 14), begged me to go to Spiderverse as soon as possible. Which I did as soon as I could. Not a single comment on this film.

Good luck

2 users thanked author for this post.

I’m not surprised. For various well-known reasons, the marketing for the movie has been somewhat subdued. And it’s also in a weird position as a sort of last-gasp of the old Snyderverse, which started a decade ago now and has never really got serious traction with audiences – and which we know is being replaced by something else entirely under Gunn.

So the odds definitely feel stacked against it. Let’s just say I don’t expect it to make Avatar money, or even Spider-Verse money necessarily.

Having said that, the trailers make it look like a fun and vibrant superhero time-travel romp, with a dollop of Batman ’89 nostalgia on the side. So I’m keeping my expectations in check and hoping for nothing more than an entertaining couple of hours.

The other wildcard is how many people are willing to separate the Flash, as a character, from the pervo-sleazo-crapbag playing him that is Miller.

Probably never know how that plays out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

This reviewer was not impressed: ‘The Flash’ Review: The Final Nail in the DCEU’s Coffin

A big complaint I’ve seen are that the VFX are terrible. I saw some comments compare it to a PS3 game.

Spoilers ahead!

It’s a very fun movie…But far from the masterpiece some people are weirdly trying to paint it as..The opening action scene with Batfleck is fantastic and kind of annoying because it shows how fun and vibrant these movies could have been the whole bloody time.

The story is familiar, especially coming so close after Across The Spider-Verse, but Miller does a fantastic job of bringing emotion into the whole thing and genuinely had me forgetting it was the same person playing the two Barrie’s at times. The performance is great and it’s a real shame they’ve completely overshadowed it with off screen bullshit.

Keaton still has that Batman spark to him and Saha Calle is okay as Supergirl, but she doesn’t really have much to do to be honest.

The CGI is very choppy in places. The way they visualise time travel is odd, but does feel like a conscious decision that makes everything feel a bit plastic and fake looking. The glimpse of the other universes are awful looking and I wish they just didn’t bother.

I hated the very ending with George Clooney turning up as Bruce Wayne. Ending the whole thing with a gag was just a bit annoying and considering this is meant to be the big reset that Gunn is using going forward, it just confuses things even further..And don’t bother staying for the post credits scene. Its pointless and just reinforces that Aquaman is an annoying beach bum drunk in this universe.

I will say I hope the rumours about Andy Muschietti directing Brave and Bold are true. While this isn’t perfect I do think he handled all the Batman action very well.

I thought it was an absolute mess of a movie for the most part. A few fun moments, but mostly pretty incoherent and sloppy.

The one saving grace is Keaton, who is limited in how much he has to do (given that he only shows up halfway through) but makes the most of pretty much all his scenes, with a decent performance that genuinely feels like an older version of the Burton Batman, who has lived an interesting life.

But for the most part, the movie just has so many moments where you think “what were they thinking?”

Miller is maybe the most unlikeable lead I’ve seen in a superhero movie – his weird semi-autistic(?) Big Bang Theory interpretation of Barry feels like completely the wrong choice for a film like this – the story feels incredibly cobbled together (there are setups with no payoff, and payoffs that come with no setup, and plot lines that vanish entirely by the end – like Supergirl), and the tone is constantly whiplashing between a core storyline that’s serious and dramatic, and constant moments of pisstakey cartoonish Looney Tunes stuff.

Plus the CGI, while occasionally good, is very weird and almost Pixar-like stylised in places. It gets very videogamey even for fairly realistic scenes – like the babies being saved at the beginning of the movie, which just looked freakish. It felt less like a deliberate stylistic choice and more like a cost-cutting budget issue.

Plus Affleck feels like he’s starring in Contractual Obligation: The Movie.

The weirdest bit for me though was the whole sequence with the glimpse of the alternate universes. Not only was it completely empty fanservice that didn’t really have much to do with the rest of the movie, but it also felt pretty bad-taste at times, particularly the plasticky CGI recreations of Christopher Reeve and Adam West. And the Nic Cage section was just a baffling inclusion even as an in-joke.

I was hoping for much more out of this movie, particularly after the promising trailers and Gunn’s warm words about it. But I ended up feeling like they should have binned the whole thing, and maybe made a Keaton DKR movie instead.

Certainly the final Clooney gag just felt like it existed to underscore how conspicuously this iteration of the DC movie universe has fallen on its arse. We can only hope that this is a slate-clean that will allow future movies to be better.

Ben

TV’s Supergirl Melissa Benoist Approves Of Sasha Calle Donning The Cape In The Flash

Read More: https://www.looper.com/1313825/the-flash-movie-supergirl-melissa-benoist-calls-sasha-calle-perfect/

It looks like the movie is tanking:

‘The Flash’ Loses Speed With $60M 3-Day Opening: Here’s Why

This reviewer was not impressed: ‘The Flash’ Review: The Final Nail in the DCEU’s Coffin

A big complaint I’ve seen are that the VFX are terrible. I saw some comments compare it to a PS3 game.

Some of the CGI is, in fact, awful. There are scenes were Barry’s face is all kinds of distorted as they fail to superimpose Miller’s face on whomever was standing in for him. And, quite frankly, it’s such a needless use of CGI. Cronenberg managed to effectively have Jeremy Irons play dual roles in the 80s. I think Gunn made a mistake handing Muschietti the keys to Brave and the Bold. Because IT also has some of the goofiest CGI I’ve ever seen. There’s a clear pattern developing with him. Best guess is he’s easy to work with/studio friendly. Because otherwise he’s a very uninspired director at best.

That said, I found the movie to be enjoyable, though not particularly good. It’s just not particularly standout in any way and the Supergirl/Zod stuff, in particular, felt oddly tacked on in just about every respect. Some fun nostalgia that I don’t regret watching…but if not for my season movie pass, I wouldn’t have bothered with it in theaters.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Chris D.

Ouch, this does sound a mess.

Given what I’ve seen video games pull off in the last year, we need to change the language for bad CGI as the games are putting out some very good CGI now.

Ah well, then I guess no theater for me… I’ll just wait for it to hit home release :unsure:

It looks like the movie is tanking:

‘The Flash’ Loses Speed With $60M 3-Day Opening: Here’s Why

I saw this listing:

Not to defend a shit movie, but they’re kinda shooting themselves in the foot releasing so many “big” movies so close to each other… =/

There were always gonna be big losers this “summer”… but yeah, a better movie would’ve snatched victory for sure.

Warner Bros. Chose The Flash Over Batgirl: This Was a Mistake

Daaaaaamn… how do you fuck up the VFX so badly??? They had sooooo much time to do this…

Well there was a good movie buried under all this shit for sure, but man, seems like a lot of stuff went wrong from the get go… costume design is terrible, so is most of the VFX and even the soundtrack is kinda shit.

The story was okay enough, the acting was good enough too, but yeah, someone fucked up big time. Also, this def. felt more like a continuation of Josstice League and not the Snyder Cut in pretty much every regard.

Oh well, another dud in the books, but it’s a shame, this should’ve been a hit… there’s a good skeleton in there, unlike say Shazam 2 or WW84.

Also, shame that Miller has torpedoed his career, he’s actually a pretty good actor… oh well x2 :unsure:

The Flash Movie Cameo Mystery Solved: That Wasn’t Teddy Sears But…

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar