Random thread of randomness

Home » Forums » The Loveland Arms – pub chat » Random thread of randomness

Author
Topic

Viewing 100 replies - 701 through 800 (of 1,000 total)
Author
Replies

there is a subculture of pretty young women

Exactly… šŸ¤£ All over those sites with millions of followers

Love that 8 ball story btw.

The playing it real low at first and then…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Are you absolutely, 100%,Ā positivelyĀ sure that youā€™re not confusing your real life with an episode of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air?

Absolutely certain. They don’t play 8 ball pool in the USA, they play 9 ball, a very different set of rules.Ā  šŸ˜‰

3 users thanked author for this post.

In South Wales Gar was born and raised
    On the playground was where he spent most of his days
    Chillin’ out, maxin’, relaxin’, all cool.
    And all hustling some pool outside of the school
    When a couple of guys who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in his neighborhood
    He got in one little fight and his mom got scared
    She said, “You’re movin’ off to Malaysia” (but with better poetry).

6 users thanked author for this post.

Change the penultimate line to “he got in one little fight and his mom got crazier”.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Which would you say is worse to call a woman: bitch or cow?

How bout neither? that is a no win situation. It is which is a worse way to die: knife or Gun?

Which would you say is worse to call a woman: bitch or cow?

Depends on the woman.

Some women have taken on ā€œbitchā€ as a badge of honor and rebellion. Some women find it insulting.

ā€œCowā€, on the other hand, is always gonna be a road of pain and suffering.

Weird that we use these animal names for slurs. Dohs, cows, pigs etc are wonderful creatures.

Bitch-slap
    Cow-punch

Punch > Slap

Q.E.D.

Correlation:

Slap-dash
    Hole punch

Hole > Dash

Q.E.D.

Bitch-slap
    Cow-punch

Punch > Slap

Q.E.D.

Correlation:

Slap-dash
    Hole punch

Hole > Dash

Q.E.D.

Has anyone noticed weather forecasts are increasingly off the mark? Today again they’re wrong, they promised rain starting in the morning but it’s still dry. Humid as heck, but no rain yet. Now they’re saying it will rain tonight which sucks because I need to go somewhere.

Maybe the whole climate change thing also means weather prediction becomes more difficult.

Isn’t it something to do with 5G? 5G signals are a frequency range very close to theĀ  water molecules, meaning they interfere with weather satellites monitoring clouds.

The companies want to expand service into additional frequency bands such as one at 24 gigahertz (GHz)ā€”a frequency much higher than those used by existing wireless networksā€”because they can pack more information into the signals, and because the atmosphere is transparent to signals in the band. But such frequency bands are useful only if companies can blast data at relatively high signal strengths. FCC has proposed allowing noise as high as āˆ’20 decibel watts (dBW) in all bands auctioned off so far, including one between 24.25 and 25.25 GHz.

But a nearby frequency is critical for weather forecasters. At about 23.8 GHz, water vapor molecules emit a small amount of radiationā€”one of the best ways to remotely sense the atmospheric water content that fuels clouds and storms. Because air is transparent at those frequencies, sensors attached to NOAA’s Joint Polar Satellite System and the European Meteorological Operational satellites can collect data from all levels of the atmosphere, providing a crucial input not just for familiar 7-day weather forecasts, but also for predicting the strength of hurricanes and where they will make landfall. A long-term water vapor record can also help calibrate climate change models, adds Eric Allaix, a meteorologist at MĆ©tĆ©o-France in Toulouse who leads a World Meteorological Organization committee on radio frequency coordination.

https://www.science.org/content/article/forecasters-fear-5g-wireless-technology-will-muck-weather-predictions

That’s from a few years ago but I assume everything went ahead as predicted.

Yet one more reason for us to go out and burn those 5G towers. Who’s with me?

Yet one more reason for us to go out and burn those 5G towers. Whoā€™s with me?

I’ll be with you in spirit, David, and I’ll come visit you at Reading Gaol at least once a year.

I’ll be with you in spirit, David, and I’ll come visit you at Reading Gaol at least once a year.

Jerry is lying. Youā€™ll be lucky if you get one postcard ever from him!

Still bitter about that, Todd?

More payment weirdness.

I was looking at Apple TV+ because of the shows there like Ted Lasso and For All Mankind being so highly praised. So on the Malaysia page they have 3 offerings.

1) Buy an Apple device of any kind and get 3 months free.

2) a 7 day free trial of Apple TV+ and then RM19.99 a month (roughly 5 USD).

3) Apple One – a free one month trial and access to Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade and 50GB cloud storage for RM19.99 a month.

Why the fuck would anyone opt for offer 2? Offer 3 is the exact same price and gives you more and longer for free. I’m going to delve into the small print.

Still bitter about that, Todd?

Goddamn right Iā€™m bitter. I still havenā€™t gotten the fucking postcard.

Todd wrote:

Todd, have you checked with the warden at Reading Gaol?!

Todd wrote:

Todd, have you checked with the warden at Reading Gaol?!

Yes. He said I have not received a postcard.

Did you send it to the correct Reading Gaol?

Happy Unrepentence Day, USistan!

Let’s all… shoot up a school!

I’ve got a question for the parents here.

A few weeks back I bought a job lot of cassette tapes. They’re all Tempo talking story audio books from the 80s and are mostly tie-ins to various kids properties of the era. Some are big money American brands – usually TV shows – like My Little Pony, Thundercats, Centurions, Bravestarr etc and others are British ones of varying degrees of succeess/longevity: Postman Pat, Fireman Sam, Paddington, The Shoe People, Family-Ness, Victoria Plum (not the bathroom fittings company, unfortunately).

These was clearly a pretty strong market for these in the 80s and I remember them being around in the early 90s, usually with an accompanying book (most of these are meant to be with one). But they seemed to disappear when cassettes died off and I don’t remember them moving to CD really.

Audio books are much bigger business generally these days, so I was wondering if this market of kids ones – specifically as tie-in merch to other media brands rather than audio books adaptations of proper children’s literature – has come back as well.

It is July 4th and whether or not you feel America deserves a birthday party this year, it is what it is.

The annual hot dog eating contest in NY is going to happen and to me, in seeing some past video, it is the most disgusting thing I have seen!

———————–

About that cute vaccination shirt I wear in my neighborhood: I wear it sometimes and get a few people chuckling and laughing at the message. They all get it. But I know it depends on where. I won’t wear it on the subway, given some of the crazy unhinged people (some antivax) who might see the message and want to challenge me about “staying away”.Ā  Got to be careful about that in the city.

But they seemed to disappear when cassettes died off and I donā€™t remember them moving to CD really.

They did, I bought a few book and CD combos when the kids were very small.

However I don’t think they have transferred as far as I know over to the audiobook market. It’s not anything that has ever come up, it’s soo much YouTube now for kids from very young.

Happy Unrepentence Day, USistan!

Letā€™s allā€¦ shoot up a school!

School is out for the summer, so someone had to improvise:

MULTIPLE PEOPLE SHOT DURING JULY 4TH PARADE

The annual hot dog eating contest in NY is going to happen and to me, in seeing some past video, it is the most disgusting thing I have seen!

Hot dogs are pretty disgusting in general.

Sausages are such low-grade meat that the only way New Yorkers can stomach them is by hiding them under a mountain of mustard, onions, and other strong flavours.

Hot dogs are pretty disgusting in general.

Sausages are such low-grade meat that the only way New Yorkers can stomach them is by hiding them under a mountain of mustard, onions, and other strong flavours.

It’s funny, I’m pretty sure I said to Jerry and Al when I saw then in New York that I knew it was famed for hotdogs and pizza. The pizza 100% lived up to the billing, we went to 2 places and both were fantastic. The best pizza ever.

The hotdogs? A bit shit to be honest. Even knowing sausage meat is hardly Wagyu steak, you’d get better at a burger van parked outside a nightclub in Doncaster.

I always kinda assumed hotdogs are the same thing as German knackwurst which is really tasty.

I’ve been to a hotdog factory. It’s not easy to eat hotdogs after that.

I think I had one hotdog when I was in the US in 2000. In New York I survived on pizza though which I agree was excellent. (But Italian pizza is better.)

I’ve been to a hotdog factory. It’s not easy to eat hotdogs after that.

Mainly muscle tissue my ass. The hot dog factory I was at were chucking in hooves, bones, sinews, and practically anything but muscle tissue into the grinder.

Eyelids and arseholes.

Got to use all of the animal, just like the Native Americans taught us.

Mainly muscle tissue my ass. The hot dog factory I was at were chucking in hooves, bones, sinews, and practically anything but muscle tissue into the grinder.

ā€œNOW WITH 30% MORE HOG ANUS!!!ā€

Got to use all of the animal

I don’t disapprove of this, quite the contrary, but I do disapprove of the shady practices of using words like “meat” to describe these tissues.

I was perusing my morning twitter when I came across this exchange.

https://twitter.com/DavidMeadows11/status/1547162646478311426?s=20&t=M0sPZS4RnH8xA783b0x93Q

@davidm
    you are such a ray of sunshine sometimes.

@martinsmith
    congratulations on your achievement (see David that is how one comments on someone’s good work)

Getting it in 2 is pure luck. Getting in in 3, that’s real skill :-)

Getting it in 2 is pure luck. Getting in in 3, that’s real skill :-)

Rule 34?

Amazon has its two day Prime period for the States and
    today is the last day. I browsed and got some things and I
    also went to the prime video streaming and there was this
    99 cents a month for the first two months of a few premium
    channels.

I usually watch it for the Boys and old Connery
    Bond movies. I found a Chris Claremont documentary and
    that is on my watch section. Not bad.

Until Labor Day and Black Friday…

Now there are these online memes and pictures comparing how good the James Webb telescope is compared to the Hubble one.

Other things that exist: Frogs, voting machines and umbrellas.

Are we certain about the frogs? It could be a hoax put about by the toads so we don’t realise how many toads there actually are.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Good point. Also, I’ve never seen a frog and a voting machine in the same room, have you?

Just sayin’…

Good point. Also, I’ve never seen a frog and a voting machine in the same room, have you?

Just sayin’…

Why are you trying to watch frogs vote, Jerry? It’s a secret ballot!

We already know the frogs’ voting intentions, because of the tad polls.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Are we certain about the frogs? It could be a hoax put about by the toads so we don’t realise how many toads there actually are.

Is it the Mario Scenario (Scemario?) all over again?

You know, the old Toad saying: “The princess is in another castle.”

What if the people that drew all the dinosaurs in those books we read as kids used the same process to draw modern animals just from what their skeletons looked like?

You Won’t Be Able To Recognize These Modern Animals Drawn Like Dinosaurs (buzzfeednews.com)

Zebra

The summer has been pretty normal here so far, but on Tuesday we will get some kind of freak heat event when temperatures could shoot up to 40 degrees. That’s Sahara weather.

The summer has been pretty normal here so far, but on Tuesday we will get some kind of freak heat event when temperatures could shoot up to 40 degrees. That’s Sahara weather.

Same here. New territory for the UK.

More Simpsons that aged badly:

The summer has been pretty normal here so far, but on Tuesday we will get some kind of freak heat event when temperatures could shoot up to 40 degrees. Thatā€™s Sahara weather.

I’ve just been reading about all the current and upcoming heat problems plaguing all of Europe. This is anticipated to be worse than the heatwave that impacted the continent in 2003, now exacerbated by wildfires in Spain, water shortages in Scotland, and other localized problems.

To all our European friends, please take all precautions necessary to get through the worst of this. Hopefully the local government officials will take active measures to provide free public access to air-conditioned facilities such as museums and cinemas during the worst days of this week.

Here in the NYC area we are expecting a long week of high temps (between 32 and 35 degrees Celsius), but most office buildings and commercial businesses have air conditioning, as does public transportation, and the city has “cooling centers” that are open to the public for people who don’t have AC in their homes.

I feel like this is going to be how all my work meetings start this week.

The summer has been pretty normal here so far, but on Tuesday we will get some kind of freak heat event when temperatures could shoot up to 40 degrees. Thatā€™s Sahara weather.

I’ve just been reading about all the current and upcoming heat problems plaguing all of Europe. This is anticipated to be worse than the heatwave that impacted the continent in 2003, now exacerbated by wildfires in Spain, water shortages in Scotland, and other localized problems.

To all our European friends, please take all precautions necessary to get through the worst of this. Hopefully the local government officials will take active measures to provide free public access to air-conditioned facilities such as museums and cinemas during the worst days of this week.

Here in the NYC area we are expecting a long week of high temps (between 32 and 35 degrees Celsius), but most office buildings and commercial businesses have air conditioning, as does public transportation, and the city has “cooling centers” that are open to the public for people who don’t have AC in their homes.

Luckily it’s just one day here, but 40 is brutal. Should probably look out for being out in the sun for too long.

Other parts of Europe have had it worse this year, especially Hungary and the Balkans.

We had three consecutive days of 30 degrees and sun over midsummer. I was out camping, but luckily there were plenty of shade from the forest we were in.

Forest may be a foreign concept to people in the UK and Ireland, but imagine a lot of trees clumped together and you get the idea.

Oh the UK has a few forests and yeah, air under trees is always cooler.

Meanwhile, in predictable fashion, the Macho Fuckwit Brigade, who never run out of things to scream “snowflake” at, have fixated on the heatwave.Ā  This time their source of nostalgia bollocks is not 1945 but 1976. Oh plus invoking Oz as an example of how to be well ‘ard in the heat!

As ever, the Last Leg had the best retort with Hills quip: 40 degrees in Australia? We don’t leave the house!

Something something mad dogs and the English.

water shortages in Scotland

Guiltily looks at paddling pool he’s just filled…

IMG-20220718-WA0000

6 users thanked author for this post.

Where I live it’s supposed to peak at 35 (88 F) tomorrow. Which is hot, but not help-we’re-all-going-to-die hot. I have quite honestly known worse. It’s a pleasant 31 (82 F) here today, quite nice in the shade. My friends in Scotland are reporting 28 (76 F).

I’m not dismissing the real difficulties that people will have elsewhere in the country, but it does seem that this “UK heat emergency” hysteria is being driven by southern-biased media.

Iā€™m not dismissing the real difficulties that people will have elsewhere in the country, but it does seem that this ā€œUK heat emergencyā€ hysteria is being driven by southern-biased media.

To some extent possibly – but then the idea that concerns around the current heatwave are higher among people based in metropolitan areas is probably pretty natural, given that cities tend to get a little hotter than rural areas in these weather conditions. And certainly the north of England and Scotland is not going to see temperatures as high as the Midlands and south.

But areas like Hull, Manchester etc. are gearing up for very high temperatures too, so I don’t think this is some kind of southern “London elite” thing.

Also, I’d say that just as big a differentiating factor is probably going to be your personalĀ  living and working conditions. If your home, workplace or school is such that you are able to keep cool relatively easily, then it may feel like this is a fuss over nothing. But if not – if your day is going to be made a lot harder or even dangerous by high temperatures – then I think concern over temperatures hitting 30 degrees, let alone 40, is probably justified.

Personally I am lucky that (even in a pretty hot area this week) I am able to work at home and keep relatively cool during the day. But for my kids and their friends, there is a genuine concern over keeping them hydrated and cool this week, as their school only has a very small handful of air-conditioned classrooms and many others are in direct sunlight. It also isn’t going to be possible for them to spend much time outside due to the heat and sun. So their school will likely have a difficult few days with lots of emergency measures needed.

I imagine people in service jobs that are exposed to the outdoors (or where there is little opportunity for shade/refreshment) will also be having a tough time.

As with extreme cold weather, the UK isn’t really set up for the extreme heat (many workplaces and most homes are not air-conditioned) and building materials don’t always have tolerance for this kind of heat (I saw areas of playgrounds literally melting this morning).

So it is really a case of muddling through as best we can, and hoping we can limit the worst effects.

Whether you think the media coverage is overblown is a matter of opinion, I guess. But if there’s one thing people like to do in this country, it’s talk about the weather!

Here are some met office graphics showing the worst affected areas. It looks like you might be quite lucky where you are (further north), David.

Funny thing is I’ve been in plenty of “hot countries”, but by tomorrow it is likely the highest temperature I’ve experienced will be right here at home. (I’m cheating a bit because I was in Morocco but that was in January when it was “only” about 20 degrees there.)

I’ve got the impression that with climate change the extremes are becoming more extremes. Most days this summer have been mild and pleasant but then suddenly for a few days the temperature jumps way over 30 degrees. (Though Romania, Hungary and Serbia have had really long heatwaves this year.)

I remember being in Phoenix a few years back, listening to a local radio station 101.5 on the FM dial. This was in early May, and they were already having a contest where you could call in with your guess as to what date and time the temperature in Phoenix would reach 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit. I guess humans can get used to anything.

Iā€™ve got the impression that with climate change the extremes are becoming more extremes. Most days this summer have been mild and pleasant but then suddenly for a few days the temperature jumps way over 30 degrees.

Climate change is responsible for more than just extreme heat. Beaches in the New York area are experiencing an unusually high number of shark attacks and sightings close to shore, as the warmer water temps are attracting these predators to this area to search for schools of fish and the occasional human.

Where I live it’s supposed to peak at 35 (88 F) tomorrow. Which is hot, but not help-we’re-all-going-to-die hot. I have quite honestly known worse. It’s a pleasant 31 (82 F) here today, quite nice in the shade. My friends in Scotland are reporting 28 (76 F).

I’m not dismissing the real difficulties that people will have elsewhere in the country, but it does seem that this “UK heat emergency” hysteria is being driven by southern-biased media.

Well yeah, because itā€™s hot in the south.

I donā€™t live in a desperately built up area and itā€™s currently 35 and set to get to 37 around 5pm and 38 tomorrow.

Well yeah, because itā€™s hot in the south.

Tell me about it!

We have been fairly consitently experiencing 100+ F (38C) temperatures for weeks.

Air conditioning is the most important thing right.

Tell me about it! We have been fairly consitently experiencing 100+ F (38C) temperatures for weeks. Air conditioning is the most important thing right.

It’s more common where you are though, right Todd? So presumably you are prepared for it and have ways to deal with it.

Most places in the UK aren’t set up for these unprecedented temperatures, and don’t have air conditioning etc.

This is a great website for looking up weather data worldwide btw. The interface is beautiful and very easy to use.

Ventusky – Wind, Rain and Temperature Maps

Yeah, last year when it hit 40 degrees here we were ill-prepared for it.
    Not climatized to it, not ready, and we pretty much broke the 911 service that day and had a lot of deaths.

Now we cant’t build AC units fast enough (and the prices have gone through the roof on those).
    Also have to re-think housing construction as we got so damn good at keeping the heat in, this only contributes to a greater problem (which is on its way to being the norm).

Check on elderly neighbors and loved ones.
    Everyone should check on everyone.
    Stay safe, and stay alive.

Tell me about it! We have been fairly consitently experiencing 100+ F (38C) temperatures for weeks. Air conditioning is the most important thing right.

It’s more common where you are though, right Todd? So presumably you are prepared for it and have ways to deal with it.

Most places in the UK aren’t set up for these unprecedented temperatures, and don’t have air conditioning etc.

It’s not uncommon here to have temps on occasion but the sustained levels this year are unusual.

From my friendā€™s garden (also in north Gloucestershire). :negative:

B00CB8F2-3A3F-4FF4-A314-546A90A8F7C4

Over here the unusually high temperatures are still pretty rare, I’m not seeing a lot of people investing in expensive air conditioners. I have a fan in the living room I use sometimes, but try not too much with the high energy cost.

It’s ironic that many people’s response to the planet burning is to run fuel-guzzling air conditioning and burn the planet a bit quicker :unsure:

Hey it’s not really different from electric cars which also use energy. We need energy in some form, if we don’t want to live like Theodore Kaczynski wanted us to anyway. We can’t live on fairy dust and good intentions.

Meanwhile Europe is firing up the coal plants to not have to use Russian fossile fuels. I think we’re in good hands with these leaders! ;)

I keep seeing all these memes that are about this “amazement” of the fact
    that the 90s were 3 decades ago. I mean that sci-fi show “Space:1999” was
    so “futuristic” at the time and the Prince song “1999” had that year so
    far ahead and now it is so far behind us.

In the “Back to the Future” 30 years ago to them was the mid 1950s.
    (30 years ago to us would be the beginning of the Nirvana/Pearl Jam
    grunge era!)
    Now, we have actually gone past the future time of “Back to the Future 2”!
    (We are actually in the year of the movie “Soylent Green”)

It is mostly a Gen X thing as that generation/demographic gets older, they are
    fascinated at these observations, even as some of the Memes now that grandmas now
    used to be into weed, Haight Ashbury, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, miniskirts, etc…

Reminds me of what Dudley Moore said once in “10”: Years from now an old couple will
    say “They are playing our song” and it will be “Why don’t we do it on the Road”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Al-x.

The birth of Cleopatra is closer to modern day than it is to the building of the pyramids.

5 users thanked author for this post.

The birth of Cleopatra is closer to modern day than it is to the building of the pyramids.

They truly were Comin Atcha.

The worst of the heatwave seems to have passed. I was starting to worry it would never end.

It got to around 38Ā° (hey, I found how to do Ā° on my phone!) mid-morning. The weather forecast said thereā€™d be rain and thunder from around 4-7, which would drop the temperature 10Ā°.

At about 5, we got maybe 8 drops of rain, no thunder and no drop in temp. The thermometer on my thermostat was solidly at 30Ā°. I was feeling particularly rough in the evening. Eventually, about 10, I went and sat in my garden in the dark and listened to podcasts.

It was the most comfortable Iā€™d felt in days (if you ignore how uncomfortable plastic garden chairs are). I was sorely tempted to just sleep out there and probably would have done if I had a sleeping bag.

About half midnight it actually got chilly, partially thanks to Ā some sporadic gusts of wind. I was going to stick out to the end of my podcast, but it was, incredibly, too cold. So I went back in. ā€œIt must have cooled down somewhat in here too,ā€ I thought, naively. Nope. Like walking into an oven. Thermostat still said 30Ā°. The floor in my bathroom was like walking on hot coals. I had to have a fan blasting at me all night. Still wondering if I wouldnā€™t have been better off getting a makeshift sleeping bag and going back outside.

hey, I found how to do Ā° on my phone!

This is like getting an advent calendar on boxing day.

The worst of the heatwave seems to have passed. I was starting to worry it would never end.

It got to around 38Ā° (hey, I found how to do Ā° on my phone!) mid-morning. The weather forecast said thereā€™d be rain and thunder from around 4-7, which would drop the temperature 10Ā°.

At about 5, we got maybe 8 drops of rain, no thunder and no drop in temp. The thermometer on my thermostat was solidly at 30Ā°. I was feeling particularly rough in the evening. Eventually, about 10, I went and sat in my garden in the dark and listened to podcasts.

It was the most comfortable Iā€™d felt in days (if you ignore how uncomfortable plastic garden chairs are). I was sorely tempted to just sleep out there and probably would have done if I had a sleeping bag.

About half midnight it actually got chilly, partially thanks to Ā some sporadic gusts of wind. I was going to stick out to the end of my podcast, but it was, incredibly, too cold. So I went back in. ā€œIt must have cooled down somewhat in here too,ā€ I thought, naively. Nope. Like walking into an oven. Thermostat still said 30Ā°. The floor in my bathroom was like walking on hot coals. I had to have a fan blasting at me all night. Still wondering if I wouldnā€™t have been better off getting a makeshift sleeping bag and going back outside.

Must be niceā€¦

The worst of the heatwave seems to have passed. I was starting to worry it would never end. It got to around 38Ā° (hey, I found how to do Ā° on my phone!) mid-morning. The weather forecast said thereā€™d be rain and thunder from around 4-7, which would drop the temperature 10Ā°. At about 5, we got maybe 8 drops of rain, no thunder and no drop in temp. The thermometer on my thermostat was solidly at 30Ā°. I was feeling particularly rough in the evening. Eventually, about 10, I went and sat in my garden in the dark and listened to podcasts. It was the most comfortable Iā€™d felt in days (if you ignore how uncomfortable plastic garden chairs are). I was sorely tempted to just sleep out there and probably would have done if I had a sleeping bag. About half midnight it actually got chilly, partially thanks to Ā some sporadic gusts of wind. I was going to stick out to the end of my podcast, but it was, incredibly, too cold. So I went back in. ā€œIt must have cooled down somewhat in here too,ā€ I thought, naively. Nope. Like walking into an oven. Thermostat still said 30Ā°. The floor in my bathroom was like walking on hot coals. I had to have a fan blasting at me all night. Still wondering if I wouldnā€™t have been better off getting a makeshift sleeping bag and going back outside.

It is crazy in Los Angeles. I live in the valley and it regularly gets up to 100 Fahrenheit and above in the summer (even in October often), and it barely reaches 80 on the coast. I remember it was 112 degrees at home, I drove 30 minutes to Santa Monica for a late lunch, and it was 67. Even Downtown is usually 20 degrees cooler than Pasadena or Burbank a 10-20 minute drive away.

The top value is Ā°F and the bottom is Ā°C?

Nice knowing ya.

ooh today is chilly and wet. Feels comfy after that heat.

The top value is Ā°F and the bottom is Ā°C?

Nice knowing ya.

Bottom temp is Fahrenheit. Thatā€™s basically the overnight temperature.

Bottom temp is Fahrenheit.

You and your fancy rectal thermometers.

Bottom temp is Fahrenheit.

You and your fancy rectal thermometers.

That’s why it’s called the Deep South.

Over here the unusually high temperatures are still pretty rare, Iā€™m not seeing a lot of people investing in expensive air conditioners. I have a fan in the living room I use sometimes, but try not too much with the high energy cost.

It’s a difficult scenario when it is rare. Aircon is a decent financial investment and after a few days I see the temps are already back to below 20. In truth aircon needs at least semi-regular use or it tends to break down without maintenance. It’s probably more sensible to invest in a good fan and some tricks like putting a wet cloth over it.

Countries design everything around their typical weather, it’s been notable to me moving to a tropical country how much weather changes so much. How houses are built, schools designed, how we eat and drink and use transport, even how we speak (the weather is never small talk here as the forecast is the same every day, small talk revolves around food).

It’s a bit of a meme to laugh at countries with mild climates like the UK and Netherlands for struggling to cope with extremes but I know here if the temperature dropped to 15 degrees we’d be fucked. I have a flat with permanently open window slats because it never gets cold, everyone dines outside, the windows are rather shoddily made because they don’t ever have to keep heat in, they don’t sell thick duvet covers. We are built for heavy tropical rain, anywhere in Europe or most of North America with our rain would be flooded, we have 10 foot deep drains on every road and raised pavements. I had a friend living in Dubai and they had a freak rainstorm and the main airport may as well not have had a roof, the water was coming straight through a roof built for a desert kingdom.

the weather is never small talk here as the forecast is the same every day

Whenever crazy weather hits, climate change always comes up in everyday conversations. However, I always call it “global warming” but eventually something like this happens.

PERSON: It’s not global warming. It’s climate change.

ME: Yeah, the climate is changing. It’s getting hotter!

I have heard a few NPR stories that overtly connect the heat waves to global warming which they have been reticent to do. Unfortunately, I don’t think they are doing it with a strong scientific basis, but mainly because more people in general connect the weather with it:

Large Majority of Americans Blame Warming for Extreme Weather – Scientific American

The important thing is not particular weather, as climate deniers have been prone to point out the UK had a huge heat wave in 1976. There was also a crazy level of snow in late 1981 (it rarely snows in the UK for long or to much effect, this one had snow piled up to the second floor of my house and 2 weeks off school as it was up a valley that was inaccessible).

The important element to look at is trends. A hurricane or a heatwave is not an indicator of climate change, more and more frequent heatwaves and hurricanes are.

Extreme weather events though can drive a narrative as most people will ignore science generally until it personally affects them. The same as we ignore the ridiculous way oil supply works until the price hurts. It was just as stupid a system when the price was moderate but not on our minds. After the 1970s oil crisis most countries just breathed a sigh of relief when it was over, Denmark looked at a strategy not to let it be as vulnerable again, we should probably think more like Denmark did then, problems will come around again unless you hit the root cause.

The tough part is that problems are rarely actually fixed. Instead, they are often replaced by other problems. Solutions are like keys to Pandoraā€™s box. One problem seems solved but then a hundred different problems rise up because the solution to the previous problem has now made it possible for all these new problems to emerge.

personally, I think weā€™re dealing with the problems we face as well as we collectively possibly can deal with them. Namely, which is not at all well, Individually, socially, physically and physiologically, we donā€™t have a lot of capacity in that direction and overtly survival of the species has never been high on the list of humanityā€™s concerns. Most of us grew up at the end of a generation where nearly everyone thought it would be better to end the world than to surrender.

No matter how much a person hates/loves capitalism/communism, what single idea is worth the destruction of all ideas forever? But most of us were willing to do it. Or really just to go along and ignore it. Only a few would be actually willing to do it just as only a few were actually willing to openly oppose it.

So, honestly, even if the fate of the civilization or even the whole species might be at risk, I canā€™t seriously expect to see more effort toward it than I am already.

As the inflation situation has more consumers feeling the financial pinch,Ā  a lot of people (myself included) are looking to cut costs and for many, it starts with the entertainment.

There is “cord cutting” in either cutting out cable altogether or reducing services. I have this triple pay package of broadband, TV, and phone. I am looking into reducing the premium packages. Then there are the individual streaming services. No wonder Netflix went down by a million subscribers! Then they are also trying to cut down on password sharing but that is another story.

It’ll be interesting to see the next figures on streaming TV. It’s pretty anecdotal but The Guardian did an article about cutting back and the people there seemed to view Netflix as the last to go, they were cancelling Disney, Apple and Prime first.

I do get that as while Netflix carries a lot of shit there is a huge amount of content on there that covers a lot of interests. Apple TV+ almost certainly has the best strike rate for quality but there’s not a lot of it.

If you have discipline with subscriptions you can get a lot for a little. I had to cancel my credit card a couple of months back because of a fraudulent claim on it (I got it before the money went out) and my Spotify premium sub got cancelled because the renewal failed. I was looking the other day and basically via Tidal, Apple, Youtube etc I could just surf the wave of 30 day trials to get premium music streaming for 7 months without spending anything.

My Amazon Prime Video expired and pretty soon afterwards they are offering me a month free again. I’m tempted to just wait for the Lord of the Rings show to complete on there and just binge what I want to watch in 30 days.

Ben

As the inflation situation has more consumers feeling the financial pinch,Ā  a lot of people (myself included) are looking to cut costs and for many, it starts with the entertainment.

There is “cord cutting” in either cutting out cable altogether or reducing services. I have this triple pay package of broadband, TV, and phone. I am looking into reducing the premium packages. Then there are the individual streaming services. No wonder Netflix went down by a million subscribers! Then they are also trying to cut down on password sharing but that is another story.

What has happened in the last couple of years is there has been a perfect storm of the increase in the number of streaming services and increases in the prices for those services.

(The services have pretty much dropped the free trial period. The upside is they donā€™t have long term contracts and many allow you to ā€œfreezeā€ your account where you donā€™t receive service but you arenā€™t charged for it.)

This has all getting to a point where having multiple streaming services is costing as much, if not more, than cable. Comcast realized this would be a problem so they added features where you can access some of your streaming services and other apps through their voice command function.

Cable is still a bulky and unwieldy beast with dozens of channels that canā€™t possibly have more than a couple hundred thousand viewers, if that many. The only thing keeping them alive is licensing fees.

Itā€™s funny, but Iā€™ve seen talk online about creating an aggregation service for streamers. Thatā€™s basically what cable already does. Amazon does this to a certain extent.

I saw the head of Netflix say to the effect that linear television will be dead in 10 years. I think it will happen at some point in the future but nowhere near that soon.

Viewing 100 replies - 701 through 800 (of 1,000 total)

This topic is temporarily locked.

Skip to toolbar