Random thread of randomness

Home » Forums » The Loveland Arms – pub chat » Random thread of randomness

Author
Topic

Viewing 100 replies - 501 through 600 (of 1,000 total)
Author
Replies

Amen @arjandirkse

You know… a lot is coming out as people chime in and past tweets and footage is unearthed to reveal short memories, hypocrisy, overreacting, racist double standards, etc.

Jim Carrey chimed in about that footage being there for all time, etc and acting like this great moral compass, then came this footage of him once holding a young Alicia Silverstone and forcibly tongue kissing her at an awards show.

We covered Zoe Kravitz already. Judd Apatow tweeted that Will “could have killed him” over a slap no less.

Violent babies

Violence is not the answer sats people who don’t want to remember the history of colonialism, genocide, land grabs, and slavery.

It goes on and on.

The obvious answer is that the people at the Oscars have a hell of a lot more to lose and they only benefit by keeping composed.

Yes, they are people but that means different standards and expectations have to be considered as well. They are on the socioeconomic equivalent of a tightrope and would you so easily rationalize a slap between two men on a tightrope?

Unless it is a very complex April Fool’s joke, it is bizarrely interesting in the contrasts. An actor known for his dignity behaves like a thug and a comic known for his crudeness and low humor responds with professional dignity. I can see how people might still think this was scripted.

Violence is not the answer sats people who don’t want to remember the history of colonialism, genocide, land grabs, and slavery.

I really don’t get what point you are trying to make. If I would go along with your point that colonialism, genocide etc are at all connected with this, doesn’t that just reinforce the point violence is never the answer? I think most sane people agree colonialism, genocide, slavery and land grabs aren’t positive things. Most of the time they made us realize violence is not the answer.

People slap and hit each other over all kinds of petty reasons

2 users thanked author for this post.

The obvious answer is that the people at the Oscars have a hell of a lot more to lose and they only benefit by keeping composed.

I’m not sure about that. Maybe Will Smith thinks his image is a bit too “goody two shoes” and showing a bit of a hard edge couldn’t hurt.

Al-x wrote: Violence is not the answer sats people who don’t want to remember the history of colonialism, genocide, land grabs, and slavery. I really don’t get what point you are trying to make.

Well, consider who is saying that? It is like a billionaire who spent years in luxurious mansions, lavish parties, huge yachts, dating model type women, saying that “money isn’t everything”.

It is like “Look who’s talking? That’s easy for you to say.”

Like someone white in the US who tells a black person “Why don’t you just the police like I do?”

—————————–

I still say something snapped in him. That is not an excuse but an explanation.

As for making excuses…

If you can accept someone who says they were “caught in the moment” (Adrien Brody forcing himself on Halle Berry) etc.

Now there is award show footage of Tommy Lee getting into a fight with Kid Rock over Pam Anderson years ago.

It is like “Look who’s talking? That’s easy for you to say.”

Then should I say Will Smith is allowed to hit Chris Rock because my own country was involved in colonialism and genocide?

Those who get it, get it

Those who don’t, dont

—————————————————

Random Thread so here we go:

A lot of new terminology is thrown around.

Woke – Right wingers just dismiss it as “liberal bovine excrement.” (Then again, they have shown a high reluctance and resistance to accommodate the needs of historically marginalized groups, but that is something else.) The left say it is being more conscious and socially aware.  But is it right or wrong to think back sometimes and say “On second thought… that was an attempted rape scene in Back to the Future. Or content in other old movies, shows, and songs?

“Keeping the receipts” has to do with keeping old footage, pictures, quotes, etc. to spring on someone exposing their hypocrisy, double standards etc.

Cancel (cancel culture) – exposing someone then ostracizing them bringing about boycotts and a decline in their career, reputation, public perception, etc.

Thirst trap – revealing pictures of celebs to hook in everyone and stay relevant in the public eye.

click bait – see @jrcarter  😂

energy is the effort and zeal that a person puts in to advance a point or narrative.

That’s it for now… Carry on about the Oscars.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Al-x.

Those who get it, get it Those who don’t, dont

What an absolute fucking asshole level of response. I don’t expect any less from you, wandering in to every thread like you’re the expert on every subject while clearly demonstrating you know jack shit about fuck all. Don’t test me on examples, it’d be really fucking funny to make a very long list out of it. The relationship thread is the most laughable example.

Those who get it, get it. Those who don’t, don’t.

Let’s see.

Arjan didn’t get the point. Nonetheless… You didn’t deserve that shot. So I APOLOGIZE.

As for you Anders…

What you said above is what you meant all along but were waiting to explode or implode… Whatever.It is an expression of pent up resentment .

Truth is: You did follow and trolled me and cursed at others here. (Those that you don’t approve of)

Want to take charge of what you don’t even own. (Do you even contribute to support this place?)

You do make scenes and derailed threads.

Don’t know forum etiquette of taking things elsewhere

Make snarky remarks and get upset at retaliation.

3rd or 4th time back…

Alas, I shall continue to wallow in ignorance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Let’s see.

Arjan didn’t get the point. Nonetheless… You didn’t deserve that shot. So I APOLOGIZE.

As for you Anders…

What you said above is what you meant all along but were waiting to explode or implode… Whatever.It is an expression of pent up resentment .

Truth is: You did follow and trolled me and cursed at others here. (Those that you don’t approve of)

Want to take charge of what you don’t even own. (Do you even contribute to support this place?)

You do make scenes and derailed threads.

Don’t know forum etiquette of taking things elsewhere

3rd or 4th time back…

He said, in a post filled with snarky remarks, upset at being retaliated at.

The patience…

Funny, we all spent the last few pages talking about making public scenes… Or does all that only apply to Will Smith?

As for getting in and “ruining” threads, I didn’t post those “detector” memes and go under false names, waiting to pounce.

You don’t understand consolidating postings, putting two in one. Or do you object only because I do it?

Who do you think started some of the thread you like participating in the most? Feel free to ask around to the old timers from MW…

If you want, you could start your own forum and make it as private and exclusive (my clique only) as you want

Let’s not start a scene and derail anymore.  I am done for now…

Guys – get off the personal please, you know the rules.

We had snow today! In April! Who ordered this weather?

(I know, it’s an awkward subject change…)

There have been multiple snowstorms near me today and yesterday, but all really short-lived and interspersed with bright sunshine and decent warmth. Been pretty weird, actually.

Yes same here. You have some sun and the temperature goes up, and then scary clouds drift over and suddenly it’s 2 degrees and snowing.

There have been multiple snowstorms near me today and yesterday, but all really short-lived and interspersed with bright sunshine and decent warmth. Been pretty weird, actually.

There is a swedish idiom for this, it’s fairly apt. “April weather”.

Not get into a direct discussion about the slap itself, but the reaction from comedians is a little ironic. Especially on those that have had more conservative takes on social issues. Maybe I’m projecting, but they seem to be jumping on the “collective victim” card pretty hard when a lot of their acts have been about taking the piss out of this same victim mentality. I’m hearing things like “some comedian is going to get killed because of what Will Smith did.” “Do I have to worry about getting attacked after a show because of something I said?” “Will people applaud the next guy that slaps a comic?”

I’m not really on board with the idea this means anything for all stand-up acts going forward except maybe in the sense of a self-fulfilling prophecy. However, if I was a struggling stand up comic looking for some free P.R.. I’d Jussie Smollet this situation and get a couple friends to punch me in my next show. I’m almost certain the news media has its people out there looking for the next violent altercation at a comedy venue.

If something’s a little dangerous, like for a comedian to get slapped because of something offensive, it often makes it more exciting. Like those Eastern block writers who typed up their samizdat manuscripts and secretly passed them around to friends. Comedians should be excited about this! They’ll be hailed like martyrs.

Tony Rock’s hot as fish grease over it:

5 users thanked author for this post.

edit: click to see lower part of the video

3 users thanked author for this post.

I did see some conspiracy theorist say that George Soros was behind this to distract everyone from the war in the Ukraine, food shortages, and the staged pandemic.

Plausible.

I’ve just found out there’s a coffin museum in Birmingham.

I wish I had known, I was there on Friday looking for something to do.

Birmingham

Found another hard g! @Lorcan_Nagle!

Birmingham

No, that’s a soft g, like Birminjham

Hey, you’re pulling my leg! There’s no g in Birminjham!

I was in the village Bellingham in Northumberland once and I think that was pronounced Bellin-jum. English is odd.

Hey, you’re pulling my leg! There’s no g in Birminjham!

I think you mean lej

4 users thanked author for this post.

I was in the village Bellingham in Northumberland once and I think that was pronounced Bellin-jum. English is odd.

Are you sure you weren’t in Belgium?

Mind your fucking language, Al-X would have a bloody heart attack if he saw you cursing like that.

Fucking Bruges.

Birmingham

People can’t normally name my place of birth. People who can tell me it’s because of the “g” sound, which is all that’s left of my Brummie accent.

There’s a very distinctive hard g in words with an ing in them.

Thus: RinGing, SinGing, etc.

… I forget what point I was going to make in the wider debate  :unsure:

… I forget what point I was going to make in the wider debate :unsure:

oH nO, dAvId! yOu HaVe dErAiLeD tHe RaNdOm ThReAd!

Carry on…

Birmingham

People can’t normally name my place of birth. People who can tell me it’s because of the “g” sound, which is all that’s left of my Brummie accent.

There’s a very distinctive hard g in words with an ing in them.

Thus: RinGing, SinGing, etc.

… I forget what point I was going to make in the wider debate  :unsure:

I find this with the Sheffield accent too – a really hard enunciated G sound in the middle of words like that.

Found out the other day about this guy in my neighborhood:

https://patch.com/new-york/upper-east-side-nyc/upper-east-sides-alleged-capitol-rioter-sentenced-prison

You never know…

That’s not as unlikely as I went to a house warming party with one of the insurrectionists, he was here working on some gas and oil project.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/capitol-rioter-guy-reffitt-found-guilty-counts/story?id=83322979

I had a long discussion about religion with Nicole Reffit, I quite liked her, she was a very stereotypical loud American abroad but she was willing to listen and debate respectfully.

For @christian…1 hour of capybaras + vaporwave.

How did the hackers escape?

They ransomware.

How did the hackers escape?

They ransomware.

Gotta add that to my “Bad Dad Jokes” repertoire.

Happy anniversary everyone!

6 users thanked author for this post.

The walking distance from Porthcurno in Cornwall to Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland is approximately 530 miles. I know this because the last time I was in England I met a 70-year-old man who, with his dog, was doing exactly that.

We crossed paths at a gin distillery in the Peak District, so at that point he was more than halfway to his goal.

If I had to choose between either never having sex again or never watchin a movie again I would be laughing all the way down to the cinema.

A walk like that would be a nice retirement project. It sounds like a lot, but at a very gentle 10 miles a day you would only need two months. The problem would be logistical – how do you carry two months’ of supplies?

A walk like that would be a nice retirement project. It sounds like a lot, but at a very gentle 10 miles a day you would only need two months. The problem would be logistical – how do you carry two months’ of supplies?

4 users thanked author for this post.

Perfect solution!

I need to find a Sam to carry all my stuff.

I assume you’d do as you do on holiday and buy food every day. The clothes thing can be solved by launderettes along the way.

The Pixies were playing in Cardiff the other day and Black Francis posted some photos to his Twitter. The first was a tourist pic in the castle grounds, the second was in a very mundane laundrette reading a book as his clothes were drying. I liked that we saw the other side of touring even for a very famous band.

I’d assumed you would buy food as you go. I was thinking more of clothes, and I suppose you’re right, launderettes would be the solution.

You could get your books at charity shops, dropping each one off at the next shop when you’d finished it, so that’s solved. (Yes, I know you’re going to mention ebooks, but I reject that solution.)

Another solution would be to make the duration of the trip a little shorter by driving, which would also give you somewhere to pack extra food and clothes.

Yeah I guess I am more used to it because we live on the backpackers trail here, people taking months or even a year out with just a backpack.

There are a lot of book swap places at hostels and even one I know in a local shopping mall where you place the book you’ve read on the shelf and take a different one. Charity shop and book stalls at markets in the UK can serve a similar purpose.

I was thinking more of clothes, and I suppose you’re right, launderettes would be the solution.

Or you just go full on Naked Rambler style and not have to worry about them.

Yeah I guess I am more used to it because we live on the backpackers trail here, people taking months or even a year out with just a backpack.

On the US west coast the Pacific Crest Trail runs from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington, spans 2,650 miles (4,265km), and takes 4 to 6 months to complete. The Appalachian trail runs along the mountain range along the US east coast, spanning 2,200 miles (3,525km) across 14 states. Both are very popular, particularly among young adults who want to experience the adventure before returning to their career paths.

This may be the most 1980s thing ever:

I hope it’s okay if I randomly wish the pilot of the Carrier a Happy Birthday:

PENBLWYDD HAPUS, GAR JONES

8 users thanked author for this post.

PENBLWYDD HAPUS, GAR JONES

Happy birthday Andrew Gar.

Thanks guys!

pen-blwydd hapus hwyr

@garjones

Gareth…fellow

Everyone steals. Everyone is a plagiarist

Even SNL… 😂

https://blavity.com/similarities-between-snl-skit-and-black-creators-viral-tiktok?category1=news&fbclid=IwAR3Gfkuslk_XNqcbbdq7DWdseWgLuzL4tFVGgU6iQ38aGKwda_8f8fHXEBQ&item=1

When it comes to computers Windows 95 was really Mac 89 and Mac 89 was Xerox Parc 74… 😂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Al-x.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Al-x.

Bad news about Netflix

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html

And:

F75D727A-2778-4D81-8749-72351CB5C27F

Bad news about Netflix https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html%5B/quote%5D
    Yeah, they seem to be in panic mode as well. The problem they will face is the good old class action. Since they ignored and admitted they ignored it to promote growth, to suddenly enforce it will provide a payday to lawyers challenging any change with a class base of millions of people.

On top of this, though, is the implication for streaming services worldwide. Essentially, it is not a scalable model. Oddly, people are encountering this idea in another streaming service series WeCrashed on Apple+. They have basically a single product to sell – the subscription service and once you pick your plan, that’s it, no more options for revenue increases. Amazon, for example, has its subscription content but it also has options to rent movies and series as well as is a hub for other channels and streaming services that pay for space on the platform. Apple+ already does this sort of thing with music on iTunes so it could easily changeover to that model as well. And, I believe, you can purchase only specific content from Apple if you don’t want to subscribe to the service.

So, they will go to ads and basically become like regular television channels. Another potential innovation will be the microtransaction model like in many games where they can offer certain products for a premium one-time price. Sort of the way Disney+ offered their new release movies early for an extra purchase of like $30 (not exactly “micro” but the same idea).

In the end, though, it does show the limitations of the “tech” business model. It is not the industrial revolution that was promoted at the end of the 20th century and there really isn’t the infrastructure to support it. Streaming services will start to look more like networks just like uber and rideshare are not really improving upon taxis and are actually ending up being much less efficient ways to get around a city. Doordash and Instacart are not proving to be viable replacements for regular delivery services or, you know, actually going to the grocery. They certainly aren’t providing much assistance to people who live in areas with limited grocery options as those people can’t afford them. On top of this, everything from online delivery services to free shipping to next-day delivery for orders is putting too much pressure on the shipping infrastructure as it is. We don’t have enough trucks for all this, and truckers are aging out of the industry. Our highways and streets aren’t designed for this increased traffic and gas prices are only making it less feasible.

Last I saw, there were over 100 streaming services. The majority of those cater to very niche markets. They have just enough content to satisfy a small viewer base who pay the monthly price. It also potentially makes them quite vulnerable as a bigger streamer like Netflix could poach product when contracts are up.

Then you have this:
    CNN+ Is Shutting Down One Month After Launch

I think in the next few years, we’ll see more of these services either cease, as niche offers vey limited opportunities for growth, or get bought by bigger ones for that niche content.

I would not be surprised if the new corporate masters merge HBO Max and Discovery+ into one service. Throw in what was going to be CNN+ content and you have a monster that could be a genuine threat to Netflix. I could also see Disney merging Disney+ and Hulu into one. (This would be similar to what has been done in other parts of the world.) I am not sure if they would fold ESPN+ into that because sports are a very different type of niche from entertainment. Maybe Disney will buy other sports streaming services and create a super sports streaming service.

With mergers, those new services will be the true challengers to Netflix and it’s “something for everyone” buffet style. Throw in that many of these companies will keep network content for themselves and not let them be licensed by other services, that could limit growth for Netflix who are dependent on licensed shows for some of their content. As licensing agreements end and services seek global expansion, a great deal of content will be “brought home” under their parent company’s service. There will also be a lot of opportunities for companies who don’t want to start their own services but instead, become content providers for those looking to bolster their own.

The next few years will be a crucial time in the streaming wars.

I think the niche ones like Hayu, Crunchyroll and DAZN are probably in the best position. They’ve generally cornered their markets. Other places might go in for similar programming – All4 has picked up a lot of anime for instance – but you’d be hard pressed to  challenge Crunchyroll for volume and quality of anime, say. Of they might well get bought up and folded into other services (We all know Amazon have a great track record on that!)

What I think we’re going to see, and I’ve been saying this for a few years now, is bundling akin to early satellite packages. You’ll get companies like Sky or Amazon selling the consumer a subscription package that includes unlimited access to a bundle of different streaming services at a discount to getting them individually (perhaps, but with no granular choice as per satellite TV packages). There are hints of that already with Sky offering Netflix in Sky Q subs and the way the WWE Network was subsumed by Peacock in the US.

The majority of those cater to very niche markets. They have just enough content to satisfy a small viewer base who pay the monthly price.

This seems more the model of the present and future. You look at comics Kickstarters or Patreon support for podcasts and it is basically a pretty small number of enthusiasts paying directly for what they love. You can get very big money with less than a thousand backers.

I think it’s actually far harder for the ‘generic’ streamers. To be fair to Netflix the Russian sanctions forced them to offload 700k subscribers but the way it is going we’re really returning to the cable TV model. Many streaming services, if you can maintain patience and attention the best idea is just sign up a month at a time and watch what you want and cancel, rinse and repeat.

I’m not on any streaming services. I had a free trial for amazon prime, but I wasn’t impressed with what they had. The only tv I watch is stuff from Dutch public broadcasters which I can watch for free online, and that is really more than enough. I like good documentaries and there is plenty of that on there. I don’t need to watch new Netflix series.

Netflix series give the service a bit of a disadvantage overall. They make a big splash when first released, but the binge watching model means it is more of a spike and then by the time the second season comes out (if it does), not as much interest as it wasn’t spread over a long time. While other series keeping the weekly release or having more episodes a season manage to build and sustain enough interest to attract people and subscriptions each season. A big part of television is that it gives people stuff to talk about at work or at parties or wherever in social situations and the release everything at once makes that a challenge as you can only discuss it around mostly a short period of time and you have to be cautious as some people will have seen later episodes and others haven’t so spoilers are a big concern.

Yeah, I wonder if Netflix will switch to weekly release in order to keep people subbed longer.

The experience with the D+ Marvel shows has been much more enjoyable than the Netflix Marvel era of “binge everything in a weekend to avoid spoilers”.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Martin Smith.

I think Netflix are very ideological about it. They basically invented binge watching a new series (people were doing it on VHS and DVD long before of course with old stuff). It’ll take a lot and quite a climb-down from that position to change it.

I’ve maintained right from the start there are huge disadvantages to it. This board is an example, we don’t discuss shows as much when they are dumped because everyone is at a different point.  On TV review shows and podcasts they stop discussing them almost immediately while  Apple and Disney and the traditional broadcasters keep their shows in every week. Since nobody is watching at the same pace the temptation is to sign up maybe every few months, binge and cancel.

Yes there is freedom of choice for the viewer to pace as they want but I don’t think that’s really a deciding factor, I don’t think anyone would cancel their sub if they want to watch the next series of Stranger Things and that is put out weekly.

Yes, I’ve said this before but the really bizarre thing for me is that the only difference between the “dump” model and the weekly model is that few weeks when the show is being newly broadcast.

After that, you end up in exactly the same place, with all episodes available. So I can go on Disney+ now and “binge watch” Mandalorian or Loki or Hawkeye, I can go on Amazon and do the same for The Boys. The only difference was that when they were initially released, it wasn’t all in one go. So in terms of the long-term content libraries it makes absolutely no difference.

But the losses from not doing that are huge – you lose several weeks of being part of the conversation, people can’t discuss it at the same rate, and almost immediately (within days) you’re old news and you’re eclipsed by the next big thing.

The one thing I have appreciated from some of these streaming services is the mixed model, where you might get two or three episodes the first week of release and then weekly after (as with the likes of The Boys, Wandavision and the upcoming Obi-Wan series). For me, that balances the aspect of getting you hooked by giving you enough to get your teeth into, but also letting people follow weekly and discuss it as it goes along.

But even that isn’t a real streaming innovation, it’s no different from a two-part series premiere (or whatever) that you sometimes see from regular broadcasters.

Hm. True. I’d guess we’d have talked a lot more about, say, the Umbrella Academy if it’d been a weekly release.

For all that though I’m not that certain the Netflix story is that disastrous. We live in a world where we demand ever increasing evermore rapid growth despite the fact that it isn’t possible. Be it in Q1 2022 or two years later growth of 5m a quarter was always going to end. If you discount the 700k subs they had to cancel in Russia they’ve grown around half a million, it’s not like a grand exodus and in the end the other streamers will hit their ceilings too, similarly to how you no longer read about Facebook or Twitter growth in the tens of millions.

Our system has no interest in a business that’s just sustainable, in Feb Netflix made record profits but the media hype preferred them when they were losing $2bn a year but growing quickly.

I agree, there has to come a point where the endless upward growth stops and they have to show that they have a sustainable business model without constantly adding large numbers of subscribers.

But I do think that in order to keep their finances straight, a change is probably going to have to come in how much they spend on making new shows, and what they spend money on. It has felt like an unsustainable large amount for a while now, and they haven’t had that many home-grown hits despite the billions they are spending on making TV.

It makes me think they don’t really know how to make good TV and the hits they’ve had have been basically down to throwing enough stuff out there that some of it ends up being decent. They probably need more focus more on making decent shows that will attract/retain viewers rather than just churning out content.

That and the addition of ad-supported tiers might help to shore up their business model.

I think the danger for Netflix at the moment is that they become a byword for mostly mediocre television, and no longer seen as essential or prestigious as they once were. I could see the tide turning pretty quickly for them if they fall out of favour in that way.

Just package every streaming service into one and call it cable. Everyone wins!

It has felt like an unsustainable large amount for a while now, and they haven’t had that many home-grown hits despite the billions they are spending on making TV.

I agree to an extent. I think they don’t have a great hit and miss ratio on their ‘originals’.

I have said before though they have a massive variety of material that the others don’t have. Apple seem to have a great hit ratio (in a quality measure anyway) but so few shows. I don’t really know how many of their subs are not what comes free with buying a device, their material is very US centric which in truth emulates the popularity of their products, Apple market share dips massively outside North America.

I can’t cancel my Netflix because even if I got bored there’s endless hours of animation and Korean drama my kids and wife love. If we look outside our sphere a lot of the trashy nonsense on Netflix gets a lot of viewers. It’s against all the laws of nature but even on the BBC Mrs Brown’s Boys gets 5 times the viewers of genius like Inside Number 9.

The one thing I have appreciated from some of these streaming services is the mixed model, where you might get two or three episodes the first week of release and then weekly after

Speaking of, one weird one I’ve experienced recently is Julia on Sky Atlantic, where they put the first four episodes on in one night and then are serialising the remaining four weekly.

There is already a meme on that…

The sharing passwords should have been expected. Or they are ignorant of consumer behavior… Reminds a little of electronics stores who caught on to returns and charging extra because people would buy a camcorder on Friday, use it over the weekend for a wedding, birthday party , etc. then go back to return it on Monday.

B36B81F6-308F-466B-A8EF-3FA5F1F43182

The one thing I have appreciated from some of these streaming services is the mixed model, where you might get two or three episodes the first week of release and then weekly after

Speaking of, one weird one I’ve experienced recently is Julia on Sky Atlantic, where they put the first four episodes on in one night and then are serialising the remaining four weekly.

When HBO Max released Our Flag Means Death, they released all ten episodes over four weeks:

– Week 1: 3 episodes
    – Week 2: 3 episodes
    – Week 3: 2 episodes
    – Week 4: 2 episodes

That was so much better than the tedious episode per week release schedule.

If you find a show’s weekly schedule tedious you can just wait until all the episodes are out and watch it then.

The sharing passwords should have been expected.

They knew it was going on but they didn’t care because the growth was so fast. Now it has slowed they are seeing a way to claw back some extra revenue.

Similarly there’s slightly different content on international versions (e.g. Star Trek Discovery is on Netflix outside north America) and they do next to nothing to prevent you switching with a VPN, nor do Amazon. It’s because all their originals are in every country so they don’t really care about who watches the other content and where. If you have Netflix and Prime in the US it is far cheaper to subscribe to a VPN than Paramount + and watch all their content on another country setting.

The BBC which sells their content all over the world are always battling VPN access on iPlayer, constantly putting repeat IP addresses on a block list. Depending how frequently your VPN provider releases new addresses you are often blocked and can’t view it.

With password sharing I think it may have to be a bit on an honours system anyway. IP addresses can very clearly recognise each country if your cousin sharing your account is in the next town across there’s not much they can do to spot that unless they demand you enable location, which won’t be popular.

(e.g. Star Trek Discovery is on Netflix outside north America)

Not any more it’s not, Paramount paid to break their contract in order to yank DISCO back for then Paramount+ launches worldwide… Only to get it in the neck from the fans and put series 4 out for free on Pluto.tv in countries that have that service.

There is already a meme on that…

The sharing passwords should have been expected. Or they are ignorant of consumer behavior… Reminds a little of electronics stores who caught on to returns and charging extra because people would buy a camcorder on Friday, use it over the weekend for a wedding, birthday party , etc. then go back to return it on Monday.

B36B81F6-308F-466B-A8EF-3FA5F1F43182

Alternately:

6 users thanked author for this post.

Not any more it’s not, Paramount paid to break their contract in order to yank DISCO back for then Paramount+ launches worldwide… Only to get it in the neck from the fans and put series 4 out for free on Pluto.tv in countries that have that service.

Ah yeah I vaguely remember that. I don’t think it’s even possible to watch it here any more as they don’t have Pluto. I got bored to tears by the show half way through season 3 though so hadn’t taken that much notice.

If you find a show’s weekly schedule tedious you can just wait until all the episodes are out and watch it then.

Or the service can dump them all at once and everyone else’s can watch them weekly. 😜

That was funny @lorcan

But we must not let others know that big secret… 😂

Anyway, consumer behavior …just figuring out what the vast majority will do. I mean back in the 70s, people had their cassette recorder radio sand were waiting for the station DJ to stop talking and then start recording a song off the radio instead of buying it at the store.

And remember the Metallica drummer Lars was so much against Napster when Napster was popular.

There are graphs and charts in Economics theory that the consumer will use their given budget to maximize their enjoyment, but it is just a fancy academic way to say that people will do what they want to satisfy themselves.

It all boils down to piracy, loopholes, and tricks , whether it be an illegal firestick for smart TV to get all the cable channels, an illegal cable box that gives you all the cable TV signals etc. torrent as you posted, and so on.

people will do what they want to satisfy themselves.

Within the confines of the law and common decency, of course.

This thread seems to be much less random now.  random· a person or thing that is unknown, unidentified, or suspiciously out of place. · a person or thing that is odd or unpredictable.

Also, Did we not have a thread in Movies that dealt with Entertainment finance and economics?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Rocket.

I think that randomness (as far as this thread is concerned) doesn’t necessitate every post being a new topic or random comment. Just that the conversation is allowed to wander and go wherever it likes.

There has to be a direction sometimes, Otherwise it’d be too predictably random for the random thread.

Let’s get back on topic!

Blue is my favorite colour.

I think that randomness (as far as this thread is concerned) doesn’t necessitate every post being a new topic or random comment. Just that the conversation is allowed to wander and go wherever it likes.

There you go….

No more “shifting gears”.

If anything, I just consolidate points with small line separation.

If a household of say 4 people share one tv, can all 4 members watch a netflix show on that with the same account? Or is that password sharing? Do they all have to buy a netflix subscription to watch shows on that one tv?

Blue is my favorite colour.

Blue sucks ass. Green all the way!

If a household of say 4 people share one tv, can all 4 members watch a netflix show on that with the same account? Or is that password sharing?

Only if the person who is the actual paying Netflix customer is watching with them. If they’re watching it without him or her, the Netflix is going to fly in with copters and bag everyone.

Partly I think Netflix have been a bit ambiguous about it themselves: they actively allow you to set up several profiles and watch on multiple devices simultaneously, so there’s a clear acknowledgement that they want more than one person to be able to use the same account.

But at the same time, we know that it would be illogical for account logins to be shared with everyone you know, or the whole world would end up watching on one single account.

So you end up with grey areas, like: Can my kid still use my account if they stay over at a mate’s house? Can couples share an account if they live separately?

And less grey areas, like: can me and all my mates watch Is It Cake? using just one login?

They’ve essentially let it slide until now because it wasn’t seen as a big drag on their income. But now they’re going to have to make the rules a bit clearer.

Viewing 100 replies - 501 through 600 (of 1,000 total)

This topic is temporarily locked.

Skip to toolbar