Politics: dead cats and red hats

Home » Forums » The Pub – general chat » Politics: dead cats and red hats

Author
Topic

Time for a new politics thread. Guessing it’ll be fairly quiet given the calm and measured state of world politics today.

Viewing 53 replies - 401 through 453 (of 453 total)
Author
Replies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-chastises-whitmer-for-calling-him-complicit-in-extremism-associated-with-kidnapping-scheme/ar-BB19Qg02?ocid=msedgdhp

On another note: There are a lot of Senate seats up for grabs. Maybe the Senate can be flipped.

1 user thanked author for this post.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-chastises-whitmer-for-calling-him-complicit-in-extremism-associated-with-kidnapping-scheme/ar-BB19Qg02?ocid=msedgdhp

On another note: There are a lot of Senate seats up for grabs. Maybe the Senate can be flipped.

Cruz: GOP could face ‘bloodbath of Watergate proportions’ on Election Day

Here’s hoping…

2 users thanked author for this post.

I’m sure there are days he regrets running for president in the first place.

Finally I agree with him on something!

I’m sure there are days he regrets running for president in the first place.

He is such a narcissist and egotist I don’t think regrets anything. He is never responsible. He always has a fall guy to blame.

Trump lacks the basic ability to genuinely criticize himself and his actions. No chance he would ever come so far as to see, understand and admit that he’s wrong, at fault or has made a mistake. Do you honestly think he’s even theoretically capable of regret?

Often when I am faced with the Dems complete cluelessness in how to combat or even respond to the increasingly unhinged lawlessness and corruption that the GOP has normalized on its quest for total and absolute power I am reminded of this comic strip.

When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Often when I am faced with the Dems complete cluelessness

Too many of them watched The West Wing, thought it was a documentary, and now believe that they can talk their adversaries into doing the right thing.

4 users thanked author for this post.

There may have been a time when US government functioned like that, but it was left somewhere in the 20th century. Probably right around Clinton’s impeachment when the GOP started shaking in their boots about Hilary someday being president. Which, not so coincidentally was also right about the same time Fox News was founded. I still think Fox News might be the single most damaging thing to happen to American politics in, at least, my lifetime. The current state of the GOP basically is a reflection of the propaganda Fox has been selling for 25 years.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Seeing as the Dems and Republicans serve the same donors, I think the Dems’ main function is to keep the electorate from going too far left. See how quickly and decisively they mobilized against Bernie in the primaries versus how in most other circumstances they govern as if they have no power. Aside from a few social issues like abortion and gay marriage, they want pretty much the same world as the Republicans do.

We can’t even say they differ that much on climate change since the Dem establishment stance is apparently “we believe the science; no, we’re not going to take the measures needed to address it.” (Which, btw, essentially makes them climate change denialists.)

That was a really good sketch when it was just Rudolph as Harris messing with Pence. As soon as it went to Carrey and the Fly parody, it turned to shit.

How the Italians deal with anti-maskers:

I would pay four guys to do that to Trump. Just sayin’…

Just saw a video of people waiting 11 hours to vote early in the US elections.

I’m not sure how many people in the ‘mother of democracies’ understand how abnormal and weird this is. I’ve never spent more than 5 minutes casting my vote at a polling station in the UK, just walk up, hand your polling card over, do the ballot and straight out.

In Malaysia I can’t vote but my wife and her mother went out in the car and were back home within 30 minutes.

Is this normal, or is this because of a massive campaign of voter suppression? As much as I’m encouraged by the ridiculous queues I’m seeing on Twitter (I’m guessing the majority aren’t Trump voters) it’s insane that you should have to wait in such a long line.

Is this normal, or is this because of a massive campaign of voter suppression? As much as I’m encouraged by the ridiculous queues I’m seeing on Twitter (I’m guessing the majority aren’t Trump voters) it’s insane that you should have to wait in such a long line.

As always, it’s two things. While the voter suppression has been ramped up this year, with stories of fake ballot drop boxes in California and distribution of polling sites in Texas that don’t take population into account and the like, it’s been going on pretty much since they started giving undesirables the right to vote. Non-white people are generally seven times more likely to face some sort of obstruction to voting in the US.

By comparison, the longest it’s taken me to vote in Ireland is about 30 minutes, and that was when I was a 20 minute walk from the polling station. Since our last move it’s generally less than 10 minutes from home to the polling booth and back.

Is this normal, or is this because of a massive campaign of voter suppression?

As Lorcan says- a combination of the two.  Those waits are in Georgia which is recently rather renowned for manipulating the vote and 11 hours has to be an extreme.

However it prompted a long Twitter thread that had a lot of Americans report being used to waiting in line for long periods while the Canadians, Brits and Aussies all pretty much reported they wander in and vote straight away, maybe a little 10 minute queue if they go at lunchtime.

I did a quick check and Iowa has almost exactly the same population as Wales – 3.2 million – in their last election they had just over 400 polling stations, in the last election in Wales they had 2971. So there’s a pretty clear indication there where the difference lies. Bear in mind too that physically Iowa is over 6 times bigger than Wales and that’s a lot of travelling to get to a voting booth and no surprise mail-in is more popular.

How the fuck any of this is possible is a complete mystery to me.

It’s deliberately designed that way, and then sold to the American people as the best system in the world.

As a white man in a predominantly white community in NYS, it takes me 5 minutes or less to vote. it took longer in Colorado but not that much longer. I did not know about the delays in other communities. It does not surprise me. A polling station costs money and takes time(which translates into more money). Those in power do not want spend money to assist people who might remove them from power. I am also not surprised we are learning about this now because Trump is more incompetent and lazy than previous politicians.

The US voting system is terrible for far too many, but at least I’m heartened to see it not deterring people right now. Early voting is up nearly 10 fold from this point in 2016. Around 14 million votes already cast or returned via mail. That’s around 10% of all votes cast in 2016. Add to it that Biden’s polling has only increased this month and that for the last 4 months he’s consistently polled at or above 50% while also consistently polling well in MI, WI, PA and even AZ and it gets harder to see legitimate paths for a Trump victory.

Of course we know anything can happen including Trump trying to steal the election if it’s close, but I remain optimistic. Perhaps foolishly so, but his debate performance mixed with his vivid diagnosis that stemmed from a stupid super spreader event for a justice nomination that most of the country doesn’t want to move forward before the election is over…it’s hard to see a solid enough bounce back. Especially when Trump backed out of debate #2.

Still plenty of reasons for concern, like how knowing the outcome of the election on Nov 3rd likely comes down to FL, but I need to be hopeful over these next 20 days.

There’s a fundamental error in the setup. I don’t know about other countries but since they have similar results I’ll make an assumption they are similar to the UK. The Electoral Commission is independent and non-partisan, so while not perfect it usually ends up with the same access to the voting booths wherever you live. Constituency/district borders are defined by a mathematical formula. There are the odd minor problems but generally it is not an issue, if you live in a Labour or Tory stronghold there will typically be a very nearby polling station in a local school or church hall and the process is really painless.

In the US while there are some federal fundamentals a lot of the process is left to state legislatures that are partisan, are headed by political parties.  So if it seems to advantage them either way they can manipulate the process to make it easier or harder to vote. They also use a variety of mechanisms and machines that are quite frankly a complete waste of time and money. Sunderland in the UK prides itself on gathering and counting old fashioned paper votes within an hour and a half of polls closing. Yes it has an advantage being a mostly urban area and rural ones naturally take longer but it is an area of pride to run it really efficiently, not for any party political point but just to show it can be done.

Trump is more incompetent and lazy than previous politicians

And corrupt! Don’t forget corrupt!

Trump is more incompetent and lazy than previous politicians

And corrupt! Don’t forget corrupt!

• This reply was modified 5 days, 13 hours ago by Avatarlorcan_nagle.

Conservative Columnist Sums Up Donald Trump’s Strong Case For Worst President In History

“What are they thinking?” Max Boot of The Washington Post asked of Trump’s supporters.

By Lee Moran

Conservative columnist Max Boot asked a damning question of Donald Trump’s supporters as he summed up in his latest editorial for The Washington Post why he believed Trump had made a “strong case” for being the worst president in the history of the United States.

Boot reeled off in his column published Tuesday a long list of reasons for why Trump should take the “worst president” title — from his mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic and trafficking in racism to his inciting of violence, xenophobia and welcoming “of Russian attacks on our elections.”

The commentator, who quit the GOP following Trump’s 2016 victory, acknowledged “there are single-issue voters to whom Trump has a strong appeal.”

But he also asked of the tens of millions of people who still support the president, given his long list of controversies and scandals, “What are they thinking?”
    Read Boot’s full editorial here.

I wonder if they’ve tried turning it off and on again?

The UK government? Yeah, that’d be nice.

5 users thanked author for this post.

And …. It’s time for Brexit No Deal.

Johnson to say the UK must prepare for no deal.

That phrasing makes it sound like he’s not the PM, just a commentator saying what should be done without any link to what happens or responsibility for it.

No no, it’s not “no deal”. It’s “an Australia style deal”!

Just ignore the fact that Australia don’t have a trade deal with the EU.

Australia style fuck all still equals fuck all

Yes, it’s just spin. Australia trade with the EU on WTO terms, which are the default terms of a no deal.

It’s not a huge issue for Australia as they are on the other side of the world from Europe so it’s a small portion of their trade and they aren’t getting thousands of trucks shipping goods in and out every day.

WTO

Of all the NGO’s this is the scariest one.

I don’t disagree although in this instance the WTO terms are really just a basic set of tariffs and rules agreed on as a bare international minimum many years ago. A long list of things like Potatoes 5%, Curtain Rails 7% etc.

It’s not quite as intimidating as it could sound – like the WTO are there controlling it all from above.

Curtain Rails 7%

5 users thanked author for this post.

So, today is a big day today for QAnon. For some time they’ve expected that at Trump’s big rally in Dallas this evening he’ll announce that Mike Pence is stepping down as Vice President and JFK Jr. (who faked his death so he can fight the evil cabal of Jews human traffickers) is going to take his place as Trump’s running mate.

Of course, Trump isn’t holding a rally in Dallas today, but you know, this is all part of The Plan.

Some people who literally believe this won their Primaries and are running for Senate in Oregon and Delaware amongst other states.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 14 hours ago by Avatarlorcan_nagle.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 14 hours ago by Avatarlorcan_nagle.

Proof yet again that the main thing dystopian novelists got wrong is how dumb the future would be.

Proof yet again that the main thing dystopian novelists got wrong is how dumb the future would be.

Assemblage 23 just released an album about how depressingly mundane and stupid the apocalypse has turned out to be.

Assemblage 23 is not a bad band by any stretch, I need to listen to this.

Assemblage 23 is not a bad band by any stretch, I need to listen to this.

I haven’t listened to the album yet, but a EBM/Industrial podcast I like has spun a few tracks and had Tom on to talk about it last week, it’s really good

Bild

So, the future began four years ago then, at least in Murricah?

So, the future began four years ago then, at least in Murricah?

Only four?

Jon Voight insists President Trump ‘must win’ election, slams ‘evil’ Joe Biden

Angelina, get your Dad.

Jon Voight insists President Trump ‘must win’ election, slams ‘evil’ Joe Biden

Angelina, get your Dad.

That whole family is fucked up.

Ugh, let’s forget about what Voight has become and rather rewatch him as a failing wannabe male prostitute:

Donald Trump says he might leave US if he loses to Joe Biden

Please do.

Donald Trump says he might leave US if he loses to Joe Biden

Please do.

Watch as he picks a country the US doesn’t have an extradition treaty with because he wants to dodge the New York state investigators

Countries with US extradition treaties in green:

Well he has pals in Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Countries with US extradition treaties in green:

Well he has pals in Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Some of those extradition treaties are conditional. Sweden, for example, won’t extradite someone if they risk the death penalty.

“Can you imagine if I lose, my whole life, what am I going to do? I am going to say I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politics?” Mr Trump said.

“I am not going to feel so good, maybe I will have to leave the country, I don’t know,” Mr Trump added, while drawing laughs from the crowd.

Yep, sounds about right. He may be introducing this as a joke, but I’m pretty sure fleeing the country is the only way for him to avoid jail once he’s out.

God it’ll be so good to see that motherfucker gone in a few weeks.

I am going to say I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politics?” Mr Trump said.

I think Biden’s pretty terrible, but I can think of at least one person running in this election who’s far worse. Unless he’s fearing a landslide for Jo Jorgensen

It’ll be a fun novelty to see a former American leader evading prosecution in his homeland by living off the grace and favours of other nations for once.

God it’ll be so good to see that motherfucker gone in a few weeks.

Don’t underestimate the stupidity of American voters, nor the lengths the Republican Party will go to in order to steal this election.

Court rules that late votes cannot be counted

Some of those extradition treaties are conditional. Sweden, for example, won’t extradite someone if they risk the death penalty.

That counts for every EU member actually, they won’t extradite to states with the death penalty as it is against EU admission laws. Abu Hamza for example was only extradited from the UK to the US with guarantees he could not face the death penalty.

Saying that as much I think Trump sucks I don’t think anything he’s done is worthy of capital punishment under any US law.

Viewing 53 replies - 401 through 453 (of 453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar