DC Comics Thread

Home » Forums » Comics talk » DC Comics Thread

Author
Topic

This is a thread to talk about DC Comics.

Viewing 43 replies - 501 through 543 (of 543 total)
Author
Replies

I wonder if it’s just too niche nowadays, even with a big name like Ellis and good reviews that book sold pretty poorly. It probably wasn’t a hard decision to bin it off when the art problems happened. Despite the constant refrain that comics fans are all over 40 the actual Nielsen demographics suggest otherwise and maybe the bulk of readers no longer have any attachment.

I’d worry the same about Milestone to be honest but maybe the Static Shock cartoon of the mid 2000s gives it a higher general profile.

Yeah, I think you’re right that in the case of Wildstorm it’s all playing to that dwindling older audience. And Ellis’ reboot seemed to quite consciously play to existing fans rather than newcomers, which was part of it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

It seems like whatever problems the Ellis reboot ran into have scuppered Wildstorm as its own standalone universe. But I agree it never feels like it works as part of the DCU.

I always felt that way about integrating Shazam/Billy Batson into the DCU — it didn’t feel natural in the 1970s, and he still doesn’t feel like he belongs among Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. And yet, there he is.

I love the WildStorm Universe, including the recent Ellis reboot effort; but I don’t follow the DCU, so I’m not likely to buy these new WS books.

At last! Assuming similar pricing to Marvel Unlimited that’s my method of reading big two comics new and old from now on.

Summer 2021 for the international launch. $75 annually. $8 per month. I’ll be subscribing as soon as I can, methinks.

Yeah $75 is good with me. $6.25 a month. I’m in.

I wonder if they’ll include the ‘mature’ books that Marvel don’t like to have their app. I’ll still get it but a lack of Vertigo/Black Label does diminish the value a little.

So apparently they’re changing Poison Ivy’s name to Queen Ivy??? ehhh… that’s kinda lame…

At least they should go with Ivy Queen, specially if they finally allow her to be Harley Quinn’s official gf.

Despite the constant refrain that comics fans are all over 40

I think Wildstorm is more niche than that even. All of my comics circle (outside this board) are well over 40, and all have zero interest in 90s comics characters. So you’re probably looking at a very specific and limited age band who have any nostalgia at all for Wildstorm.

True but my inference was less that all over 40s are Wildstorm fans, more than most Wildstorm fans would be over 40 by now.

It’s times like this we need Chris Striker.

6 users thanked author for this post.

It’s times like this we need Chris Striker.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Artist Denys Cowan Talks Static Shock and the Return of Milestone Media

Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette Return to Themyscira to Complete Their Earth One Trilogy

Great stuff. I loved the first two.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Future State: what to expect from the next DC event (hint: not a reboot) – Newsarama

DC has told us more about the Future State event in January and February than you may realize

some bits and pieces, basically more speculation if you click the link

‘Future State’ takes place in January and February…
    January 5’s Dark Nights: Death Metal finale leads directly into the 80-page Generations: Shattered #1 (which looks very much like it’ll be the first of bookend chapters), that same week, which in turn leads directly into ‘Future State.’…
    every single remaining core DC Universe series either concludes a story arc in December or isn’t in a multi-month arc…
    So every mainstream DCU title has no story baggage in January or February. A clean slate…

there is a key aspect to DC’s long-term plans we haven’t mentioned yet – its digital publishing strategy, now even more important with the relaunch of the repurposed DC Universe Infinite digital subscription service.
    We’ve heard chatter, though unconfirmed, that the original designation of ‘5G’ was something of an ironic linguistic nod to the importance of digital to DC’s future…

Grant Morrison shelves his planned Batman: Arkham Asylum sequel – Newsarama

Morrison’s plan for Damian Wayne to become Batman has been put on hold

If you’ve been looking forward to Grant Morrison’s sequel to his Batman OGN Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, we’ve got some bad news – the writer has said that the project is on hold.

Originally announced at the 2017 Comic-Con International San Diego, Arkham Asylum 2 would have picked up from the writer’s 1989 OGN with an aim to be “the best Batman book there’s ever been.” Whereas Dave McKean painted the original story, Morrison’s Batman Inc. artist Chris Burnham was slotted in to draw the sequel. Arkham Asylum 2 was to star Damien Wayne stepping up to become the next Batman.

So what happened to the sequel? Well, Morrison says he’s too busy with TV projects.

“I kind of wrote 26 pages of it, and it got shelved because the television work was taking up so much time,” Morrison told TechRadar’s Samuel Roberts. “But again, I never say never because I think [those] 26 pages were pretty good.”

Morrison and Burnham recently reunited for a short story in the Detective Comics #1027 anthology, and the writer admits it did rekindle the idea of finishing Arkham Asylum 2 someday.

“It gave me the taste again because he was going to draw the second Arkham Asylum, too,” Morrison continued. “But no, I had a story – it’s very, very, very different from the original book. It was more of a Philip K. Dick thing. It’s still there. It’s still one of these things that may happen.”

Morrison co-wrote the recent Peacock/Sky One series Brave New World. He’s currently working on an ongoing comic book series called Proctor Valley Road for NBCUniversal’s subsidiary Universal Content Productions. In 2018, Morrison signed a multi-year TV deal with the company.

While Morrison and Burnham’s OGN about Damien Wayne becoming Batman might never happen, DC recently announced a Batman limited series featuring another potential successor to Bruce Wayne – possibly a member of Lucius Fox’s family – by writer John Ridley and artist Nick Derington.

That’s a bummer. As much as I love Morrison, I have no interest in his TV work. And Proctor Valley Road sounds like it’s just IP farming for NBC, he’s not even the sole writer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/nbcuniversal-launches-comics-company-with-grant-morrison-on-first-title/ar-BB16N6ly

Possibly for the best. It always seemed like a bit of a forced project.

A sequel to Arkham Asylum was a weird idea. A Morrison/ Burnham OGN starring Damien Wayne’s Batman from #666 could have been a lot of fun. I hope that still happens someday, but won’t hold my breath.

42F36760-EABE-48F8-AFD5-45CE444D512C

From Kevin Maguire’s Twitter 👍🏼

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.

I’m seeing Fire and Ice in their original scant costumes and yet I still can’t help but wonder how Black Canary’s facemask will affect her ability to use her Canary Cry.

A sequel to Arkham Asylum was a weird idea. A Morrison/ Burnham OGN starring Damien Wayne’s Batman from #666 could have been a lot of fun. I hope that still happens someday, but won’t hold my breath.

I thought that was the idea. Adult Damian going into Arkham like Bruce in the original. But I could be wrong.

I was just saying that a sequel to Arkham Asylum doesn’t feel necessary to me. But, I’m totally in for a Morrison/ Burnham Damien OGN. It certainly doesn’t have to slavishly follow the structure of AA.

Locke & Key is going to Sandman’s Hell in its first ‘and probably last’ big crossover

The pair are very aware of the risks of doing a crossover just for the sake of it. “As a kid, I could never resist a great crossover,” Hill said. “If the DC characters were going to meet the Marvel characters, I was there. But grown-up me knows that most of those comics actually weren’t very good.”

Their aim with Hell & Gone is to honor the spirit of Sandman, a book that Hill and Rodríguez agree was a formative influence on Locke & Key, while also telling a new story with “emotional weight” of its own. And they might actually be able to pay it off, because Hell & Gone isn’t just a throwaway spinoff — it’s actually paying off the last decade of Locke & Key comics.

The original series told the story of the modern-day Locke family — Tyler, Kinsey, and Bode, who you might recognise from the Netflix adaptation — and wrapped up in 2013. Around that time, Hill and Rodríguez started releasing one-off stories that filled in the history of the Lockes and their keys. These have been rather sporadic, to put it mildly (the first short, “Open the Moon”, came out in 2011) but they’ve gradually come into focus as part of a larger story, The Golden Age, which tells the story of Chamberlain Locke and his children in the early 20th Century.

Man of the moment, James Tynion IV, made some interesting comments at the virtual NYCC about DC’s Black Label imprint. There’s a transcript of it over at Bleedingcool for those of you who want to read it for yourselves, but in essence he said that going forwards DC was going to use the Black Label imprint to present classic/ ever green takes on their characters, like Batman, allowing James and others the opportunity to go wild on the main books. Pushing them in new directions and so on.

You can sort of see the signs of that already, with Three Jokers being a Black Label book versus Tynion’s own Joker War being in the main Batman series.

I know that seems to upend the original intention of the imprint, but could provide some exciting possibilities for the DCU going into 2021.

I always thought the idea of Black Label was exactly that – to free creators from the shackles of continuity and let them tell stories that wouldn’t fit in the regular DCU  with a slightly more adult bent.

I recall, but I’m not sure I’d call many of the original Black Label takes on the characters “classic” either – Damned, Last Knight, Dead Earth, Year One, White Knight.

The newer books like Three Jokers and the new John Constantine book are certainly more classic interpretations. Although two instances is too soon to call it a trend, I suppose.

The more interesting implication is on the regular mainstream DCU books. If the shackles are off, and the creative teams of the main books can now make real changes to the status quo, and take greater storytelling chances (because they no longer have to protect the IP), then we could be headed towards a really interesting time for the “in continuity” DCU too.

Tynion’s Batman is a good example of this. I’ve said beforehand that he has been allowed to do things as part of Joker War that I couldn’t have imagined editorial signing off to beforehand. If this becomes widespread across the line, I think it’ll be quite exciting.

Yeah that’s fair – it was kind of an Elseworlds style thing up to now I guess.

Tynion’s Batman is a good example of this. I’ve said beforehand that he has been allowed to do things as part of Joker War that I couldn’t have imagined editorial signing off to beforehand. If this becomes widespread across the line, I think it’ll be quite exciting.

I’ll buy the super-size RRP $150 omnibus in five years time.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/10/15/21517468/dc-universe-new-batman-superman-wonder-woman-future-slate-comics

DC Comics will mark the beginning of 2021 with a bold move: Hitting pause on the present day of the DC Universe to spend two months exploring a strange new future. Across a slate of dozens of one-shots, miniseries, and over-sized anthology issues, we’ll get a new Batman, a new Superman, a new Wonder Woman, and new, well, almost everyone.

In Gotham, Bruce Wayne is dead, and an all new, “probably” POC Batman steps up to save the city. In Metropolis, Jon Kent steps into the boots of Superman after his father is exiled to space. And in the Amazon rainforest, a new Wonder Woman is chosen by the gods. This potential future seems to have its beginnings in the yet-unpublished finale of DC’s current cosmos-shattering crossover event, Dark Nights: Death Metal, which will conclude on Jan. 5, 2021.

“The DC Universe has always been fertile ground for new and refreshing takes on our characters, and DC Future State definitely contributes to this legacy,” said Marie Javins, DC’s executive editor, in a press release. “When the event begins in January, some savvy readers will not only pick up on some of the breadcrumbs that have already been tossed out in our current titles, but they will also find new hints and clues of what’s to come in 2021.”

But what about DC’s main line of books? They’ll resume in March, resuming their usual storylines and introducing new ones — likely a few that reference Future State events. Some Future State books even appear to spin directly out of current events in DC books. Aquaman, for example, appears to feature a teen version of Aquaman and Mera’s currently-toddler daughter.

Future State’s artist lineup — its Future Slate, you might say — is nothing to sneeze at either, including Mariko Tamaki, Brian Michael Bendis, Gene Luen Yang, Joëlle Jones, Joshua Williamson, Nicola Scott, and John Ridley.

Like an elseworlds version of OYL, if anyone remembers that old thing.

I am neither pleased nor displeased. It all hinges on the quality of the writing.

Sounds like a load of filler to me. The sort of thing they normally do while treading water waiting for something else.

The New ‘Rorschach’ Comic Is A Stealth Sequel To The ‘Watchmen’ Show

I’ll be skipping Future State. There’s nothing in the solicits of any interest to me.

DC Solicitations for January- Continuum link

The covers for Dark Detective are smashing.

Sounds like a load of filler to me. The sort of thing they normally do while treading water waiting for something else.

Remember when Image did an early issue 25 for Stormwatch, Bloodstrike, Brigade and Supreme as a gimmick event? Only Bloodstrike and Brigade never made it to issue 25 and Supreme ignored their one?

Yeaaaaaaaah

What about the Stormwatch one?

The creative and editorial teams for StormWatch actually made the effort to steer the storyline in the 22nd, 23rd and 24th issues to tie into the events previously written about in the premature 25th issue. Not seamless, but a decent segue.

The creative and editorial teams for StormWatch actually made the effort to steer the storyline in the 22nd, 23rd and 24th issues to tie into the events previously written about in the premature 25th issue. Not seamless, but a decent segue.

Which led to that book’s most dire stretch, which led to Ellis taking over, which led to Authority, which led to Millar’s Authority, which ultimately led to here.

I don’t remember the men who put together Stormwatch 22-24, but they are unsung heroes.

I don’t remember the men who put together Stormwatch 22-24

Or women!

The Trans Dilemma – Human Dysphoria & the Life of Brian - Anglican Ink ©  2020

I don’t remember the men who put together Stormwatch 22-24, but they are unsung heroes.

Ron Marz was writing, IIRC, with someone like Renato Arlem on art – one of the C or D list artists that Wildstorm deployed to keep their books shipping when the bigger name artists had all moved on elsewhere.

STORMWATCH (1993 Series)  (IMAGE) #28 Near Mint Comics Book

The story in Stormwatch 25 led to this. Two of these characters made it to Ellis’ Stormwatch, and only one made it to the Authority. I miss Sword Guy and Captain Obviously Native American.

Man, Ron Lim has such a unique style… he never got the credit he was due…

Viewing 43 replies - 501 through 543 (of 543 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar